New Macbook, or return?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lecorbusier, Feb 27, 2009.

1. lecorbusier macrumors newbie

So my girlfriend just got a new Macbook, after seeing mine purchased a few days ago. She picked it up at the same Best Buy 2 days after me. Thing is, mine came with iLife '09, hers with '08... no big deal I told her, $10 upgrade.

She said that when she purchased it, the employee helping her opened the box to "make sure everything was in order." Weird, as they didn't do that for me... so now she thinks it may have actually been a return.

Is there any way, ie. log files or something to see if this Macbook has ever been used prior to her purchase? She can't get over it, and it's driving me nuts. How can I reassure her?

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

sounds fishy to me

just tell her to go back and make up an excuse for another one

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Employees are forbidden to "help" open since that's too big of a liability.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Bring it back...fight the restocking fee, then buy it from the Apple store.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

All MacBooks come with an iLife 09 upgrade CD in the box. Sounds like she may have gotten a return...

6. klau25 macrumors newbie

I got mine from ebay 2 weeks ago and I got ilife 09. I will def check with them.

7. Hakkera macrumors member

I would never buy an apple product from anything other than an Apple store. There really isn't any point. I mean, you might save 5 bucks from amazon or something, but then you have delivery, and besides. I like the experience of going to an Apple Store and getting it. Lugging the product home can be a bit of a pain though. :)

But yeah, I'd go for a return and either get it from apple.com or your local store.

8. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Maybe he/she doesn't have a local Apple Store.
    The closest Apple Store for me is a 4 hours drive, but there is a BestBuy just 15min away.

To the original question:
    I never had a similar experience at BestBuy and I bought some stuff over there,...

How many cycles did the battery have?

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

As long as the box is sealed I'd prefer to get it from Best Buy. Over here the Apple Store gives 14 day return with 15% restocking fee. Best Buy gives 30 day return no questions asked with no restocking fee. Since Applecare works no matter where you buy from, it's a no brainer imho. Just make sure the seal isn't broken before you take it out of the store!

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I'd take it back to the Best Buy and tell them. However, if the machine seems new, the battery is new, and it's in perfect working condition, I'd be happy with a copy of iLife 09.

11. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Return it without a doubt. Go to another Bestbuy and pick up a new one. If they ask you why you're returning it just say you're not satisfied. You don't like the shinny screen, or you hate the keyboard. It's a satisfaction guarantee. I returned one because of a keyboard issue and they tried to palm an open box off on me. It was retaped but you could tell. I called them on it and they got a sealed box.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is an excellent way to check. Especially with a possible BB return.
    However, if it didn't have iLife 09 I would take it back and request it.

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

You should definitely go back to the store with it. My MacBook Pro I got 2 weeks ago had the iLife 09 DVD inside the box, and many other people I asked reported the same.

14. lecorbusier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses guys. I checked her battery cycle count and it was 1; she had about 1/2 battery remaining when we first opened the box, almost drained it, recharged and used about another half... so 1 cycle sounds right. I think it's new, but she insisted on iLife '09 out of the box...

And so, I took it back for her this morning, full refund no questions asked. I just said we were unhappy with the performance.

We then drove a few miles to the next Best Buy and picked one up. It was sealed and brand smacking new. Came home, opened it and voila... iLife '09. She's very happy now, and I scored some nice points.

I purchased it from Best Buy because we were able to price match it for $50 off MSRP ($1345 CDN/ $1057 USD MB AL 2.0). I have 4 Apple stores with 10 or so miles from my house here in Toronto; but they don't price match.

15. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Is that canadian apple only? I got my apple store to price match down to 1150 USD from 1299.

Also WTF? I should be buying all my stuff from canada lol... 1399 CAN is still only like 1106USD and 1749 is only 1384 usd for the 2.4ghz aluminum. Even when I price matched my lappy down it's more expensive than the retail in canada... does that include tax?

16. lecorbusier thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought all Apple stores didn't price match. I tried price matching a Macbook when I was in NYC last fall, and they said they do not do price matching.

That price does not include tax, but even with tax it's still slightly cheaper. When our dollar was equal to the US dollar (not too long ago), we were the ones paying more... but a 1 hour drive to Buffalo, N.Y. could fix that ; )

17. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Hehe the next time it comes close, drive a little farther to new hampshire... and get no sales tax.

I'm curious as with my other thread. Is the sales tax in alberta 5%?

18. lecorbusier thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they don't have a Provincial sales tax... only General Sales Tax of 5% which applies across the country.

19. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

GST is actually goverment sales tax, the PST (provincial sales tax) is determined from province to province and it makes up the other part of our sales tax

20. lecorbusier thread starter macrumors newbie

If you want to get picky, GST is the 'Goods and Services Tax' ; )