Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Wondering for all MacBook potential buyers have considered the Surface Pro 3? Just wondering if anyone have thought about Surface Pro 3 as an alternative. While I like the MacBook (a lot), I'm wondering if the CPU power is enough. I want to run windows as well in BootCamp and require MS Office like, word and excel.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
If my primary objective was to run MS software packages, I would have opted for the SP3. The sole reason for me sticking with Mac (and purchasing the new Macbook) is OS X.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Well, according to people here using Windows VM's and BootCamp extensively, the MB is apparently quite a kick#$$ Windows machine as well.

I guess the real differentiator here is a form factor preference. If you want a real clamshell laptop form factor, the MB wins. If you really want to experiment with a hybrid device that is half laptop and half tablet, but not really either or, then the SP3 will be the way to go.

I guess you can already guess by my choice of words which I prefer :p

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I have the office 2016 preview running on my rMB, and it's running just fine!

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Wondering for all MacBook potential buyers have considered the Surface Pro 3? Just wondering if anyone have thought about Surface Pro 3 as an alternative. While I like the MacBook (a lot), I'm wondering if the CPU power is enough. I want to run windows as well in BootCamp and require MS Office like, word and excel.

Of course the MB will run Windows. There are other laptops on the market with the Core M processors that are running Windows already. Word and Excel are not a challenge for the MB.

Last edited by a moderator:

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I am mac user for a log time now, but on december I bought the i7 Surface Pro 3 and I can tell you that I absolutely love it, the only think i don't really like is Windows 8, but I've gotten used to it and I really think Windows 10 will solve most of my issues with Windows. For me as a student it has been a great device, really portable, office programs are much better than on mac, the ability to take notes is amazing for me at least as I use it a lot to mark up PDFs. The keyboard even though many people don't like it, once I got used to it I can write really fast and have no issues at all, the trackpad I find it really responsive but it's too small so I usually carry a mouse or use the touch screen.

Also I have ordered the new 1.3 Macbook, and I really love it, and my only concern is that I hope the computer runs smooth but with no lag. I do think the Keyboard and Trackpad here are vastly superior.

So for me if you think you can value the tablet mode, and the inking give the Surface Pro a try, if not I would go for the Macbook

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011
For the love of anything, do not get the Surface Pro it's horrible for productivity. I returned mine, I could not stand it. Especially as a tablet is heats up and gets hot of course, but then there's a fan. I just don't see longevity from a Surface 3, because Microsoft does strange things, remember the Zune?

Leeabe

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
Just sold a Surface Pro 3 to get a rMB. It's a good computer and I quite liked it, but it's more of a laptop you need a desk for than a tablet. Most software doesn't support touch controls and even software that does can be finicky and have small touch targets. The on screen keyboard is terrible compared to an iPad keyboard. The trackpad on the type keyboard is small and limited. I just found the think awkward to use. It's not a great laptop, nor is it a great tablet. Still, once you're used to it, it's a good machine, especially with software like OneNote that supports the pen.

Plus I really don't like Windows 8, hopefully 10 improves all its shortcomings.

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Definitely do not buy a surface pro 3 if you want to use an external monitor. Windows is terrible at scaling and makes the text blurry. The only way around this is a 4k display.

The thing also gets super hot for random reasons, and burns battery in "sleep" mode. The only somewhat useful thing is the pen, but its not as nice as samsung's implementation.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
that's like comparing apples and oranges ..

you buy a mac for the os (and they also just happen to be the most amazing looking notebooks) ..

spaz2841

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015
that's like comparing apples and oranges ..

you buy a mac for the os (and they also just happen to be the most amazing looking notebooks) ..

Agree completely, I switched from windows in 2007 and have never looked back.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
There is no guarantee that it will run windows in bootcamp.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
similarly, once you've used a retina screen .. normal screens will look bland to you ..

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina

Coming from a SP3 and now using an rMB as my daily driver for the past few weeks I posted a recent comparison of the two when I had to temporarily go back to the SP3. Here's the thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1880372/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.