New macbook or the original one?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by huanxiang, Oct 29, 2008.

1. huanxiang macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am thinking of buy a macbook. I have seen some articles about the new macbook. It seems that there is no big difference between the new one and the old one except the graphic card.

I am not a 3D game player. I just use the notebook to surf the internet and write some codes. So I don't know if I should buy the new one since there is not big difference between the new one and the old one for me?

Do you guys have some suggestions for me?

Thanks!

2. Tominator macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I just picked up one of the few remaining Black Macbooks. More powerful than my old Pro and only $1,200 bucks.

And it has Firewire!:D

Tom

3. molala macrumors 6502a

For your needs, the old and new would perform the same. So it will just be down to personal preference (plastic or aluminum) and what budget you have.

I just got a refurb black Macbook from Apple and I'm very happy with it.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

... and the faster RAM, faster bus, lighter weight, new glass track pad.

5. GreenEyed85 macrumors member

It's in aluminum as opposed to plastic lol

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Might be a good time to pick up a black MacBook while supplies last.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Some people don't care for aluminum.lol

Either one is good and you will have a great computer either way. No need for either the last gen or current gen to get in another tit for tat debate on another thread. The OP can clearly look at the specs himself/herself off Apple.com and choose the one that fits them the best within their budget.

8. GreenEyed85 macrumors member

I'm glad they got rid of the plastic, my macbook was a crackbook! lol

9. Dalius macrumors newbie

If you don't need FireWire and you won't be working in sunlight, I'd say go for the new one...

10. jade macrumors 6502

I'd say go new for the improved grapics and potentially better support for Snow Leopard. And the lighter weight.

I am so confused that the last gen macbooks were crackbooks. My iBook never cracked and looks pretty decent after 4+ years.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I know 5 people with the previous gen Macbook's, I have owned 2, and my wife has one and none of us has ever had a crack. Some people have of course. It is like the screen debate (among other issues) on the new one. Some say it is total crap and some say it is pretty good. You always hear the complainers more than people who are happy most of the time. That is normal behavior especially on message boards. Not that is a bad thing always.

12. thingsis macrumors newbie

thingsis

I will buy the older one through the refurb store for sure. It is a lot cheaper and all I do is web/iLife plus programming/compiling. There is no need to buy the new one. It is all personal preference - you won't really notice a performance difference.