New Macbook Overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by number9, Oct 26, 2008.

1. number9 macrumors 6502

Ok so here is what happened:

My g/f has a new 2.0GHz Macbook and she had it plugged in to charge. The battery was indicated to be full, so she disconnected it, put in in her laptop bag, and then came over my apartment. When she got here, the Macbook was asleep, but the bottom rear portion (motherboard, optical drive area) was very, very, very warm to the touch and the fan sounded like a small jet turbine. I tried waking the computer, but it was unresponsive to any key or trackpad presses. Even pressing the power key was useless. Finally after pressing and holding the power key the computer apparently shut down completely. I let it sit for a few minutes and started it up again. Booted up fine but it said on start up that it restarted after Mac OS unexpectedly quit, and it appeared to indicate there was a kernel panic. The battery indicator now said there was 59% of the charge left, and over the next five minutes it dropped to 49%. It hasn't acted up since then (a few days) but apparently it restarted itself after an OS unexpected quit overnight last night too.

Do you think this is just a Mac OS problem and it needs to be reinstalled, or do you think this warrants a hardware problem and bringing it back to the Apple store to try and get it replaced?

As it is, we already went back to the Apple store a day after she bought it because the delete key was seated right and there was a small nick in the anodize on the corner of the lid out of the box. They fixed the key and said they couldn't replace it because of the anodize nick, and gave us a 10% off coupon for the store. Personally I think at this point they should just replace it.

What are your opinions?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the coolest (temp wise) notebook I've used to date. Apple or otherwise. It should not be that hot. After using it for over 8 hours yesterday on my lap for the most part I never once felt the heat as I did on my PowerBook.

I would return it and open the other one in store or in the car. Many people are returning theirs because of the nicks they find. I think I know what they're talking about, I may even have one on my batter cover but it is so insignificant that I can't be bothered to return it.

3. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know it definitely shouldn't ever get that warm. There was definitely a problem which caused it.

As far as the ding, its just something else to add on to the overheating problem. The delete key problem is something else, and also, the "4" key only depresses on one side. Basically I'm going to tell them that its got external fit problems and also legit internal hardware/software problems and that it shouldn't be like that and that it needs to be replaced.

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Sounds like the machine did not go to sleep or woke up while in the bag. While it was in the bag it overheated and had a kernel panic. This is actually more common than you think (Macs and PCs). There could have been a hung program or process that caused the machine not to sleep. Something that also causes problems is putting a machine to sleep then disconnecting a peripheral like a mouse. Disconnecting that mouse can cause the machine to wake up. Normally, it should go back to sleep, but you never know. I always make sure I see the sleep light flashing (or not flashing if turned off) before placing a notebook in a bag. It's a good habit to get into. I would keep an eye on the machine for the next few days and if it problem returns I would take it back and get an exchange. The nicks along with this problem should be enough to get you an exhange.

5. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that makes sense. My g/f told me this morning that when she woke her computer up it again said that the OS had unexpectedly quit and restarted, and that it's done this a few times since the original problem. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. I'm leaning towards bringing it back.