New macbook owner-migration questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by twodollars, Apr 6, 2009.

1. twodollars macrumors member

Hey. :)

Just purchased my first Apple laptop (white 2.0 macbook) after years of PC's, iPods, and the iPhone. Will be arriving Wednesday, so I am excited.

I was wondering what to expect when I plug my iPhone into my new mac. I understand that they are set up different per OS and I was hoping I wouldn't have to erase everything and start from my back ups reloading everything again. I am also wondering about transferring files. I've looked on the Apple website and I assume the best way would be over my network. I've done this before PC to PC so hopefully it should be as simple. I guess I will have to reformat my external drive for the mac and then back everything up once again.

Thanks guys.:apple:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With the iPhone, unless you do a iTunes hack, you'll have to reload all your music/ringtones, because it's a new computer, sucks...but I had to do it too :(

iPods won't have this happen, however.

3. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

When I got my first Mac I forget exactly what I did but I think you can just copy your /My Music/iTunes/ folder from your PC to your Mac into the /User/Music/iTunes directory and it will transfer your entire library (and keep it organized), and I also think it will transfer your iPhone files as well (apps, backups, etc.). After that you can just sync your iPhone to it and it will be like nothing changed. Just make sure you don't replace your contacts and just sync them.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Really?

Damn...oh well, took me a little longer to get set when I did mine =\

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to reformat your external. It'll be fine. Macs can read some file types of Windows. I use one external for Mac & PC.

6. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I asked one of the Apple store guys what to do and he told me about reformatting / etc. which sounded really hard. So, instead I tried what seemed easy -- I copied the directory structure to the right place, plugged in my iPhone, and it worked with no problems just like the note above. I love when that happens.

7. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Behold the beauty of Macs lol

8. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

It did "just work."

Everything has been so painless, and now I have all of my stuff on my Mac. Excellent.

Now the process of re-installing Vista on my Dell and attempting to sell that for a half way decent price...

9. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, that would have worked in just the same way on a PC.

10. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Ya I know lol...maybe I should've said behold the beauty of Apple software instead. :rolleyes: