New MacBook owner

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrislufc1977, Oct 26, 2013.

1. chrislufc1977 macrumors member

Hi all,

After previously owning a PowerBook G4 12" (which is now dying), I have just acquired a MacBook.

My friend from work came to me the other day and said it was broken and that if I could fix it I could have it, as he has already bought a new one.

I took it home and had a look at it. The 'S' key had come off...so I put it back on. Apart from that I can't see anything else wrong with it! It was covered in stickers which I've also removed and gave the whole thing a good old clean. I also bought a new charger as the MagSafe one was a little hit and miss.

It's a model A1181 with 4GB RAM running 10.5.8.

I don't have any restore discs but I might upgrade with some retails discs from eBay.

Anyway, feeling very lucky at the moment to have this! :)

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

If it still has the original battery installed, i'd consider replacing it asap, as these are notorious for swelling up and are now a safety hazard. Consider upgrading the OS to snow leopard as a clean install to remove any data from the previous owner. other than that you should be fine.

3. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Take it to apple, I've heard they still do the case replacement thing. If it has any cracking. Also, replace the battery.

4. chrislufc1977 thread starter macrumors member

Even if it is a 2007 model?

5. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, Apple provides 5 year support for the MacBook non-unibody.
    A 2007 MacBook model (MacBook 3,1) is coded 'Vintage' by Apple and shall not receive a free replacement anymore.

Only 2008 or newer models.

6. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

They have need known to do it on older models too. Top cases cracking is covered longer typically

7. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

They extend their coverage to 5 full years from the moment of purchase. A 2007 MacBook already passed those 5 years. It's only reasonable that's out of coverage ;)

8. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Do a SN search on selfserve to check your warranty. Obviously it will be expired, but if the name of the device has 'VIN,' prefixed in front of Macbook, they consider it vintage. You can't even get paid part replacements for that device through Apple.

I went in with my 2008 macbook recently and they said it was out of the 4 year time period for the QC replacement, so they offered to do it for $130ish. I am going to try a different Apple store, as I think they will do it for free, but the last store I went to didn't know how to process it.

9. chrislufc1977 thread starter macrumors member

My Snow Leopard disc just arrived in the post!

£12 from eBay with free delivery.

Going to perform a clean install now. :)

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

People are reporting problems when installing SL discs from Ebay. Perhaps these media were made specifically for a Macbook model. If it doesn't work, I suggest buying an official SL DVD from Apple.

11. chrislufc1977 thread starter macrumors member

It is an official retail version.

All installed an working fine :)