New macbook, please help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iDmitry, Mar 24, 2008.

1. iDmitry macrumors member

iDmitry

Ok so my gf bought a white macbook, one of those new ones that they supposedly "improved". Question- are the new macbooks not supposed to have the scrollpad tap-click and no remote? or did she get jipped?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The new ones don't ship with a remote. You have to turn tap to click on in the Keyboard and Mouse pane in System Preferences - it's not a default setting.

3. iDmitry thread starter macrumors member

iDmitry

thank you, and it sucks that they dont ship it with a remote. I wonder why.

4. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

i got my macbook 3 weeks before the new ones came out, a little gutted, but its my first mac and im chuffed anyway!,

i got the remote, paired it, used it once, not used it again!!!

It's obvious why they don't ship the remote with it anymore imo, i just dont use it, and you can make £15 per remote selling them!!!

5. MasterMacBook macrumors member

what:O??
    i use mine everytime im on my laptop.
    to change music and sound level ect..
    :)
    (ps. besides from frontrow, thats ^^ all it can do:p)
    :apple:

6. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Personally, I have little use for the remote. Seems like a good business move to me. Take out the accessory that isn't a necessity and turn a profit on it by selling it separately to those who want it.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

It also works perfectly with VLC - great app IMHO. I have shown movies several time on my MB to classes and use the remote to pause at relevant scenes so we can discuss what is going on. The remote has got quite a good range, both distance and angle.

8. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I'd much rather lose the remote on the macbook and gain a free iPod dock instead of having to be robbed...but that aint ever gonna happen :( It's a shame cos you used to get so much stuff with an iPod, now you only get the cable! :(

Enjoy the new MacBook though, I loooooove mine! (And i've never used my remote once)

9. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Agreed, I got my one and only iPod 7 years ago and it came with a dock, case, and other bits I think! Memory is going, senile dementia.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Which app do you use to make the Apple Remote work with VLC? Thanks.

11. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

The remote just works - nothing extra done to it :) I just open VLC and use the buttons on the remote, volume works as well.

12. CKtoph macrumors 6502

The new MacBooks do not have the scrollpad you are thinking of. I'm assuming you're thinking of the trackpads that come on the new MBAir and MBPro only? With the pinch/expand utilities? You can do things such as use two fingers to scroll up and down and use a two finger-hold/one finger-tap to right click, but that's about the extent on MacBooks.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Cool! I always thought that a 3rd party app was required to make it work... Stupid me... Thanks!

14. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

You're welcome - VLC is wonderful, and the remote works as is - just point and shoot :)