New Macbook Prices (UK) = OUCH

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hustle, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

£719 for the old Macbook
    £949 for the new Macbook

Those prices are ridiculous.

2. Zimpaz macrumors regular

3. TheAngusBurger macrumors member

4. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

So much for the White MacBook being cheaper than before!

5. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why has the price increased and the specs decreased for the old plastic Macbook?

6. iNeko macrumors regular

I was expecting £500~ for the old white macbook and £700~ for the new one, not anything near that, it works out to nearly a £300 price gap between the US and UK price! what the heck?

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It's £200 to get a backlit keyboard and 400MHz more juice. No thanks!

8. mike... macrumors member

I was planning on switching to a Mac after my 12-month try-before-I-buy hackintosh experiment, but I might just buy another Windows laptop and turn it into a Hackbook now.

I'm a student, part of a market segment that Apple seems to be directly targeting, but putting prices up is just going to turn us away.

9. tiiim macrumors regular

dont see why Apple should get away with this, welcome to the UK always getting ripped off. Very disapointing.:rolleyes:

10. logicsuggests macrumors member

Apple has raised the price of the baseline macbook by $150 in australia, they started at 1500 now they sell for 1650 with the new mac books going for A$ 2,099.00.

**** Apple.

11. samwise macrumors regular

Even with UK price including VAT, and US price excluding state Sales Tax, there's still a difference. Someone living in a state paying 7% sales tax would pay $1390, which is £797 at today's exchange rate!

12. timestoby macrumors 6502

i was lookn forward to a new macbook,but im not so sure now.maybe id get a dell xps with better graphics than the new macbooks haha,just kind.im still getn a macbook,but i guess its the white one.

13. deadjoe2002 macrumors member

heres me hoping that they've just put the website prices up wrong, you cant possibly decrease the plasticbooks price in the US and then increase it here, its crazy

14. DSG macrumors regular

MacBook spec has changed - it has a SuperDrive.

It is still mighty toss, however. I thought in the US the two Airs are the same price as the two MBPs - in the UK the cheaper Air is £100 less than the MBP.

To be honest, I think Apple can stick it up their a**e - I really don't want to commit to a company that uses anti-competitive practices.

15. DSG macrumors regular

Just noticed - the Air has gone up £100 too - for the benefit of a new GPU chip (which is probably cheaper for Apple) and a new display port. And all to keep SJ in ill-fitting shirts and stone-washed denim...

16. 226896 Guest

Yep, those prices for us here in the UK really shocked me. Can't believe the old MacBook is now £20 MORE expensive than it was a couple of hours ago.

Ah well. Apple kinda know they can get away with ridiculous prices because they sell sex in electronic form.

17. samac92 macrumors 6502a

wtf

Were paying over 1656 USD in the UK for the new MacBook and in the US they are paying 1299! It's even more expensive than the 2.4ghz one at 1599 USD!

18. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Well, to be fair......

...the £/$ exchange rate isn't exactly in our favour at the moment:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't expect Apple to absorb the entire 20-30% cost increase of selling into the UK. Sure, they've hedged against some of the increases but I guess there's a limit to how generous they can be.

Matt

19. samwise macrumors regular

How did the prices compare when it was roughly $2 to the £1?

20. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

wow i was really excited about the new macbooks and when i saw "from £719" on the uk apple store website i thought i was in heaven. just to then find out the new ones are £949!

this is unbelievable the price difference to the US is huge!

21. iNeko macrumors regular

In NH where some of my extended family live, there is no sales tax, meaning a new base aluminium macbook would cost me £684.18 at current exchange. How on earth have Apple worked these prices out, I could accept £749 - but £949 is a joke.

22. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i was looking forward to buying one if they we're cheaper, but a almost £1000 or a laptop. I've got my imac and my old windows laptop. I'm not bothering. wonder if the prices will come down?

23. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

24. solemac macrumors newbie

They told share holders the stock was going to take a hit in Q4.. Yeah they were not joking!

I would assume its due to new manufacturing costs and that there will be a price drop at MWSF09 unless someone dropped a bollock and got the exchange rate wrong!

The reality is that there is too much competition and Apple wearing this halo is going to turn people to the competition. So much for "aggressive pricing"

I'm sure they're great but i'm dumbfounded by these prices. I'll wait till Jan.