New Macbook Pro 13' 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gmauleon, Apr 15, 2011.

1. gmauleon macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I just bought a new Macbook Pro 13' 2011 i have always used PC so this is my first Mac :cool: :apple: , and i want to know if you have tips for learning the basics, good app to install , and tricks .

Thank you!! :D

2. simsaladimbamba

3. sdneidich macrumors member

a few things to experiment with:

1. open a few apps. Then use 4 fingers to swipe down. That is called Expose, and it is awesome for management of the desktop.
    2. Another thing- hold Fn, then press F8. This is Spaces.

Now while in spaces, use Expose. Redistribute your windows to all spaces. Then, hold Control and hit the arrow keys to move around.

This is my favorite feature.

4. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

^^ I never really liked the default behaviour of spaces. I've just set it up so CMD-<number> jumps straight to that space.

Hard allocated apps to open up in different spaces, so VMs jump to 3, Xcode to 2 etc.

But yeh, 4-finger-downswipe and spaces are both mint.

5. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Expose is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Once I used it, going back to a Windows machine felt weird and unmanageable when multitasking. Haven't really used spaces yet as I haven't got my VM up and running yet. So you can put your VM in a space and then switch between it and your regular desktop?

6. gmauleon thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everyone im in the process of learning :eek:

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

David Pogue has a great book, "Switching to the Mac", and I found it very helpful when I switched 5 years ago. The book has been updated several times.

8. scott.n macrumors 6502

If you're comfortable with a little hacking, there's usually some cool tips on the OS X Daily blog.

9. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Hey!!! We are in the exact same boat. This is my first ever mac as well, and like you I have the 13 inch pro, bone stock 2011 model not even a week old!

A great place to learn is here, ask alot of question, regardless how ridiculous they may seem to you at the time, better to ask. Also I see that the irc (internet relay chat) are a sound source of information to go to get immediate help with anything.

Simply log in and start posting. This is my first ever Mac and slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of it, plus its great to try new things (which you can learn to do by watching the videos on Apple's website) concerning the "gestures" on the trackpad.

They become intuitive after a bit. Welcome to the forums!

10. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Yeh, go into spaces settings, in 'Application Assignment', add in your app and assign it a workspace. When it opens, it will auto-switch. Super handy. Then you (or I) press the cmd-<number> and just switch around at will.

11. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

That is really cool! I will check that out when I get Win7 on a VM. Thanks for the tip!

12. baxingo macrumors member

I just got my first macbook pro, and mac product in Jan of 2010, and I learned pretty fast, just experiment around with stuff, use all the finger swipe commands, they come in very handy!

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Well congrats, I'm sure if you'll pick up plenty of tips if you keep reading the forums.

14. SaaGua macrumors member

From the "Switch 101" link, I found:

Direct connect

To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
    * smb://DNSname/ShareName
    * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
    5. Click Connect.
    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
    9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

What are you supposed to type in for the server address?

*smb://DNSname/ShareName

What are you supposed to type in here? IP address? Is it all numbers or other characters as well? Can anyone give an example?

Thank you

15. FOX160 macrumors regular

Did you not pay for the One 2 One ?
    I have taken this option and is a bargain for the info
    for one year

16. mike 2011 macrumors newbie

Hot corners FTW. My two top corners are exposé, bottom right is desktop, and bottom left is my dashboard. I also have the dock in magnify mode so that it doesn't take up too much screen space but is visible when you scroll over it. Also, clicking with two fingers is Apple's version of right click, and you can also scroll by dragging two fingers up or down.

17. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I did the same about 3 weeks ago and I may never go back to PC again. My best advice is to Google any questions you have or issues you run into. it's like a ready made text book as there are thousands of us that have converted and all had the same questions.

Enjoy your new MBP!

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

congrats on your 13 foot MBP!! that screen space must be nice

anyway, a really good site to check out is UsingMac

19. SinisterPower macrumors member

SinisterPower

Congrats! Welcome To The Better End Of A Computer! :apple:

Im not a new user nut we are on the same train! I just got a 13'' Macbook Pro Back in March and I love it! Check out some different application online or some of the built in ones like iMovie and App Store there great apps! And just to throw this out there, Doesnt the FAcetime HD camera look sexay!!!!
    :apple::apple:

20. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Definitely enable SPACES in System Preferences> Expose/Spaces.

You can assign certain apps for different Spaces.

You can make, say, the lower-right corner a "hot corner" under Expose and have it expose all the spaces - so you have a quick way to see the all at once, then you just select one.

It turns a small display into several times "larger".