New Macbook Pro 13.3 Hard drive crunch noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rydude07, Dec 7, 2009.

1. rydude07 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. This may be long but please bear with me :eek:

So I just bought a new macbook pro 13.3 about a week ago. It has been great. Only thing is that I hear a kind of quick crunching noise (maybe lasts half a second) from my hard drive (or the right side of my touchpad).

This usually happens when i have my computer on, but am not using it, mainly studying or reading a book I would hear it. Also, the room is dead silent when I hear it. It does happen when I use my computer but it is less often. When I am not using my computer, just having it sit there on, it usually happens once every 10 seconds or so.

I disabled my changing background, and unchecked the menu for "setting the hard drive to sleep" under the energy saver options, and it still happens.

I brought it to the Apple store and told them about it, (I said clicking instead of crunching noise, as I thought it was clicking at first). They brought it to the back to go near a quiet room to try to hear it. After about 10 to 15 mins, he came back saying he couldnt hear anything out of the ordinary. I listened to youtube videos and it is definitely not the clicking sound but more of a say scraping sound, or crunch noise.

Should I be concerned? Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Do you know what the sound hard drives make when the armature moves is? That could be described as a slight crunching or clicking noise. I hear mine regularly in a fairly quiet room so it's not abnormal to hear a "normal" HD working. It is pretty clear what's an abnormal noise as it won't sound exactly the same each time and will sound "bad". Go with your gut.

3. rydude07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah it is more of a crunching or scraping than a click and I am sure it is when the armature moves. The thing is I heard that if you are not doing anything even if you have like safari or meebo in the background, your hard drive should not click or crunch and supposed to be super quiet. Again, I only hear this crunching noise when the room is dead silent.

Any more opinions are very graciously welcomed :)

4. poena macrumors newbie

I got a new 15" Macbook Pro yesterday and I have this clicking sound as well. There's a faint click every 10 seconds. It is audible in a quiet room and is very annoying. The hard drive is stock standard 320GB. I turned of the sudden motion sensor but it didn't do anything to the clicking. The comp is laying flat on a table clicking away.

5. Starship77, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Starship77 macrumors regular

Starship77

Well, I have the new 2011 17 inch standard config. (with the 750GB HD) and your post seems to be describing exactly the problem I have with my machine. (Well, actually it's just annoying but it doesn't seem to affect anything) I'm just worried my hard drive could fail at any time or just have a shorter life span. :(

6. pgp78 macrumors newbie

I just got a new 2011 MacBook Pro 15" and seem to have a similar problem. I hear a thump/deeper click when lifting the computer from the table and moving it around. I never heard this with my previous 2010.

Some people say it may be the Sudden Motion Sensor but I doubt it. Will ask at the Apple Store.

7. gkhndes macrumors member

8. oButto macrumors member

The crunch is definitely weird. The rest of the sounds I hear on my PC and MBP. I don't think it will be too much of an issue though. Try asking Apple.