Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-kickAss-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Hi guys,

i want to buy the new Macbook pro 13 with i5 2.4ghz, 256ssd
but i dont know if i should get the 8GB or 16GB(+$180)of ram
budget is tight but if I make such an investment i might as well get a very good one
and for $90 i can upgrade the i5 2.4ghz to a 2.6. is it worth it?
I'm planning on majoring in computer science but dont know how demanding it will be
i do use photoshop and video editing programs sometimes and i am also gonna install parallels for windows 7
i plan to keep it for the next 4 years
so what do you guys think?

thx

Last edited:

Ellsass

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Very much worth it if you're running a VM -- you could give the Windows VM 4GB (or even 8GB) and still have plenty left for your other apps. Photoshop et al will also make the most of whatever memory you throw at them. It's a tiny cost compared to the total cost of the machine and it will likely add at least 1-2 years before your machine starts to feel slow.

st0k3d

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
As a future computer science major you should be able to (and want to) figure out the answer to this question without having to ask the forum.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
There have been a lot of these threads about this.
You will be fine with 8gigs for at least 4 years.
Computers are holistic systems with all parts making up for overall performance.
Adding 8gb of ram will not let it magically last 2 years longer.
In 4 years technology will have progressed and your machine will feel slower.
Some more ram might influence this slightly to the better.
If you are forced to use parallels u might want more ram.
I think its more a psychological thing.

nabeel24

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Yea, I pretty much have the same question as OP. Computer Science major here as well and I'm deciding between the base 15" or the 13" with 16gb memory. I'm not sure if the lesser memory in the 15" will make a difference for parallels to run Windows Visual since the 15" has 8gb memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.