New Macbook Pro 13" acting "weird" after one on one apple migration session

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kr9681, Sep 23, 2010.

1. kr9681 macrumors newbie

Ok so my previous macbook pro (early 2008 15" 2.4ghz 2gb) died on me suddenly one day last week when i went to class. I returned and it wouldnt power on, but the sleep light would light up and it made a sound like it wanted to start up :confused: I brought it to the apple store and it wasnt the video card so it wasnt something they could fix for free. It was either pay $600 to get it fixed or $1099 for a brand new mbp 13" (mid 2010 2.4ghz 4gb) so i went for that. I got the apple one on one service so they could migrate my account from my old mac to my new one because they actually had to take my hard drive out of the broken one to transfer my data.
    Well now that i have all my info on my new mac things arent running as well as i thought they would. The internet is acting really weird and unpredictable..like i will click a link and it will take forever to load or jsut get stuck loading and i have to go back and click the link again or refresh for it to actually fully load the page. Also it doesnt run as fast as i expected also i know i didnt really upgrade spec wise but it is brand new.

I dont really know what i should do or try because ive uninstalled/reinstalled firefox and it does the same thing in safari and i've also checked for any updates and everything is good there.

Also i feel like my battery isnt lasting as long as it should, i only used it on the ride home from the apple store and it went from 45% down to around low 30's after about a half hour of use with wifi off. So at this point im just a little disappointed in my new machine and havent even had it for 48 hours. Someone please give me some suggestions.

oh and this is my first post nice to meet you :)

2. kr9681 thread starter macrumors newbie

also the battery meter is displaying only 4:23 minsutes left and its charged 99%

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Depending on what you're doing that sounds about right. You didn't actually fall for Apple's notorious marketing and expect the advertised battery life did you? Is your screen brightness all the way up?

4. kr9681 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol well 10 hours sounded like 8 atleast not 4 1/2 but yeah the brightness is up, it adjust to the lighting in my room

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Well the screen is what will determine battery life the most. Have it set to at least 50%, lower if you can handle it.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

^^^^

This is true. You gotta have that screen turned WAY down to even sniff that advertised battery life. Try taking it down to one, two, MAYBE three notches above totally off and see what you get.

7. noire anqa macrumors regular

That battery life time is ridiculous. It should far exceed that. We have 3 MacBook Pro's in this house - you should be able to attain 8hrs with light usage.

Furthermore you're right - the new macbook pro has DDR3 ram and 4 gigs of it too, combined with a faster bus speed you should definitely feel a difference compared to your old one!

I'm going to hazard a guess here which may be woefully inaccurate but it would explain your symptoms.

Your old computer was from 2008, so were you running Leopard instead of Snow Leopard? If you migrated from Leopard to SnowLeopard it's entirely possible that old system extensions are incompatible and are crashing continuously - at which point launchd will attempt to restart them and the cycle repeats. If you can post some logs for me i can confirm or deny this hypothesis.

That said, even if you're weren't running Leopard the logs will help.

Open your Console app, in the left hand column select "All Messages" and choose File > Save a Copy As. Please post this log and remember to enclose it in code tags when you do!

8. kr9681 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the all messages.log saved to my desktop i just dont know how to post it...

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Sort of off topic, but if you still have that computer, call Apple and be firm about getting it repaired, and odds are they will fix it for free. It exactly matches the symptoms mine showed both times the graphics chip failed.

11. kr9681 thread starter macrumors newbie

but i have some physical damage to outside of it and they said it may be from that even though it worked for a year + with that dent

12. kr9681 thread starter macrumors newbie

will this help you guys help me?

Attached Files:

13. noire anqa macrumors regular

This is great advice. especially the ethernet.

Since the machine is brand new that battery life, even if not properly calibrated, is ridiculous!

14. noire anqa macrumors regular

You can open those files with TextEdit.
    Open a .log file, select everything (Edit > Select All), and copy paste the contents into a post here between code tags.

so, for example

[CODE ]

YOUR LOG PASTED HERE

[/CODE ]

remember to take the spaces out that follow the word code!

15. noire anqa macrumors regular

That's only a small snippet of the log .. need a bit more to go off then that!