New MacBook Pro 13" display problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suvos, Sep 11, 2011.

1. suvos macrumors newbie

Hi Friends...

I bought a Macbook Pro 13" just two weeks back. Last one week, I was out of station and was carrying my iPad with me. I came back yesterday and today morning when I booted my Macbook, the display started acting funny. There was nothing coming on the display, it was just changing its colors from Blue, then Green then Red and in the end there was Black and Grey horizontal stripes and either it was staying just like that or it was shutting down..

I tried 2 - 3 with force boots and still the same phenemenon happened. Then I booted by Macbook, powered on electrically with my magsafe adapter and then everything worked fine... I thought may be something wrong with the battery not providing enough power to the graphics card but when it booted fine with electrical power, my battery showed 33%.

When it booted fine, I ran the Apple Hardware test - the extended one and it came up with "No Trouble Found" .... Ever then last 8 hours, the macbook is running fine...

Not sure what happened at that time... Do you think, this is something I should be worrying about ...

The end result is bought an Apple Extended Care , thinking I am offloading some amount of my trouble to apple ... :)

Any ideas, what happened...

I am yet to upgrade to Lion.. Am still on 10.6.8

Regards,
    Suvo

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If seen that a couple times on various machines, but it's been long enough that I don't recall precisely what the answer was. I believe it boiled down to the LCD having power but no video signal, so the LCD went into a test pattern mode.

I could be remembering incorrectly, though. The last one I remember seeing was an iBook G4 that would not have been worth fixing whether it was a logic board or LCD, so we didn't put a whole lot of effort into figuring out which one was causing the issue.