NEW MacBook Pro 13": iPhoto VERY sluggish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmurder, Apr 26, 2010.

1. cmurder macrumors newbie

I just got my brand new MacBook pro 13" on Friday (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM). I am obviously running the newest version of Snow Leopard and iPhoto.

One of the first things I did was import 180 photos from my camera into iPhoto. The images are not huge (3.4MB each).

After upgrading from a 2008 MBP, I was excited to play around with gestures on the new trackpad, and I was immediately very concerned with the severe lag I experienced in iPhoto.

When I double-click an image in iPhoto (enter full screen) and pinch to zoom, and then use two fingers to pan over the image while zoomed in, I experience a lag of several seconds. So, for example, if I zoom on an image, I watch the screen do a choppy zoom for the next couple seconds. Similarly, when I use two fingers to pan over the zoomed image, I watch the screen do a choppy pan for the next 5-6 seconds before finishing the operation.

Is this normal?

I would understand if these images were huge, but these are from a standard Canon PowerShot SD camera (6 megapixels), so I would certainly expect the user interface to be smooth, especially considering that on my old computer running on Leopard (10.5.8) with iPhoto (7.1.5), I am able to perform the same functions with the same photos will no lag whatsoever (albeit without using a gesture trackpad).

I did find a thread on this (from Sept. '09), which This suggests that Snow Leopard may be the culprit, but it doesn't seem too many are people experiencing this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2166089&start=0&tstart=0

Can anyone please tell me if you are experiencing similar lag in iPhoto, or if something is wrong with my machine.

Thanks!

2. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Your 2008 MBP had a discrete GPU with local ram, your new 13" has a integrated GPU that uses system memory. All graphical effects that OSX uses will be slower because of this. Open up a lot of Expose windows and you will notice the same thing.

Now, whether or not the extent your seeing the issue is normal I cannot say. The general idea of it being more choppy though is expected.

3. Pikkoz macrumors newbie

Not all 2008 MBP had a discrete gpu, 9400m is a integrated gpu like the 320m but slower.

4. Inside_line macrumors regular

Not sure what drive you had in the 15", but 5400 RPM drive in 13" vs 7200 RPM in 15" could explain a big difference.

5. cmurder thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's interesting. My old computer did have a 7200rpm drive, and I ordered my new one with the the baseline 250GB 5400rpm.

I'm planning on installing a new hard drive on my own (either 7200RPM or maybe SSD, if/when I can afford it), but I wanted to make sure my machine is behaving normally before I go replacing the hard drive.

The new machine seems very fast, except in the aforementioned situations in iPhoto when it is intolerably slow.

I find it hard to believe that this choppy, several second lag should be "expected" on a brand new machine, even if it is the base model. I actually can't tolerate it.

Should I assume that getting the faster 7200rpm HD will solve the problem?

Does anyone else with the new 13" MBP experience similar problems in iPhoto?

Many thanks for any advice.

6. grain macrumors newbie

I noticed that lag too and it's annoying. But seriously: There is absolutely no way this could be a hardware problem. My four and a half year old 1,73 GHz Pentium M Notebook with 2 GB ram and an Intel GMA 910 GPU (!!!) handled my 10mpix jpgs in picasa without lags like these.
    And I don't see how this could be connected to harddisk rpm. That lag is seconds long. How long could it take for even a 5400rpm drive to load a 5-6 MByte file? Obviously this is some kind of software bug. Maybe that new inertial scrolling feature messes with iPhoto.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

iPhoto has always been slow for me since iPhoto 08 + 09, so I use Aperture.

8. cmurder thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I agree with you - it's hard for me to believe it's a hardware problem. I've found other threads in which users reported started experiencing the same type of lag after upgrading to Snow Leopard, so it seems more likely to be a software bug:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11176457&#11176457

I'm just surprised there aren't more people talking about this. It's frustrating to get a brand new machine and experience such a choppy, delayed reaction in a program like iPhoto.