New Macbook pro 13" or new hard drive in 2008 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spdamf, Jul 7, 2012.

1. spdamf macrumors newbie

Hi guys just need some advice... My Macbook Pro is getting old.. It's a 2008 2.4 Core 2 duo.. nice thing is that it's the model that allows you to change the hard drive out easily and think it's getting to be about that time to switch it out. Was thinking of possibly getting an SSD to help speed things up. However I can get a good deal on the new 13" Macbook Pro, the lowest model with the 2.5 i5 processor and I really like the idea of having thunderbolt.. I will be using this for music production and some video editing, but like the idea of being able to attach a large monitor to it. Question is how will the 2 compare to each other speedwise... Will the core i5 be faster than my current Macbook pro with an SSD? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. jaguar451 macrumors member

I have a 2008 unibody MB, 2.4Ghz, and am contemplating an upgrade. From what I've read, chipset wise, the 2012 will be a lot faster and run cooler. And the graphics card is a lot better than my 9400M.

The SSD will be a Lot faster than the HDD, so boot and app launch time will be faster. So, overall performance depends.... :) Don't forget that the new MBP also includes USB 3.0, so external drives, etc, with USB 3 will be a lot faster. And can upgrade the new MBP as well when budget allows.

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The SSD definitely makes it feel faster when it comes to booting, loading apps or copying files. But sounds like what you are doing the CPU difference would be more noticeable. The entry 2012 13" MBP is about 2X faster in geekbench results than the 2.4ghz C2D models. The newer models also can take up to 16gb of ram which you also would benefit from.