New MacBook Pro 13" or wait for MacBook Air ( revamp )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Martylaa, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Martylaa macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok really am stuck between a rock and a hard place on this, need a new laptop as our old one has finally moved on, we have a 21.5 iMac in the house, iPad and we both have iPhones, I am going to be travelling a lot over the next 2 years so need something portable with decent power, I will mainly be doing lite works stuff on it, word processing, emails, bit of basic photo editing an maybe a bit of online poker. The new Airbook SSD should be out soon or do I get the new 13" MacBook Pro for me. Will Leave the iPad at home for my better half for when shes needing something on the couch. Really am struggling with this decision.
    Any help or pointers much appreciated, I could get a refurbed pro right now from apple for £825 which I think is a great price, worry about the Air is I would need top spec to do what I need it for which all adds up cost, or could I get away with a basic MacBook Air?

2. Zeos macrumors 6502

I would suggest having this discussion after wwdc to see if a new Air is announced. I will be in the same position in August, but leaning toward the 13" MBP. When you need the power, it's nice to have it.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Agreed.

4. palpatine, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

How portable do you need? If you are on planes, the 13" MBP (in my experience) is fine. It isn't terribly heavy. I have to do a lot of walking on trips and it has never bothered me. But, of course, this is subjective.

How much memory do you need? If you need to carry around a lot of files, the MBA would be less than ideal, but you could get around problems with online backup (Sugarsync) or an external drive.

5. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I would wait until the new MBAs are announced, and then go from there. I think the biggest you'll have to answer is power vs. portability.

6. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Also keep in mind disk space. MBA currently comes with 256 ssd. You can larger ssd, but your going to pay dearly for them. I know ssd are faster, but at huge price tag.