New Macbook Pro 13 purchase - Crucial Memory retailers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cbb77, Jul 22, 2012.

1. cbb77 macrumors member

About to buy the base 13" model for my daughter for school. This will be my first mac purchase so I have a few quick questions.

1. I will be upgrading the memory to 8GB. I would like to get Crucial as I have always had good luck with them in the past. I typically look up the memory modules on Crucials site then shop around at Newegg, Amazon, etc. in order to pick up cheaper. However something appears to have changed as Crucial's part numbers can not be found anywhere. I have found similar specs to what's listed on Crucials site but would like to be 100% certain the modules are compatible. Has anyone purchased Crucial models for new Macbook Pro that are guaranteed compatible? If so, where did you get them? Here's an example of what I mean. http://www.jr.com/crucial/pe/CRT_2K51264BF16/ Specs are same but according to Crucials site, this part number is not compatible. Same goes for module at B&H as well. What and where are you guys getting your memory? Crucial Direct?

2. Also looking to upgrade the drive to SSD. Figured I do it now and avoid having to open the laptop up twice. I've read that you can install fresh from over the internet. Quick question is, is this truly a full install? There are no bundled apps that will be missed as part of this? Again, first time Mac purchase so just want to be certain.

Thanks in advance

2. filmak macrumors 6502a

You can buy, as we did, your memory upgrade for the mid-2012 Mbp directly from crucial. It is 100% compatible.
    You can clone your current hard disk to a new ssd using cc cloner.