New MacBook Pro 13" RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conorm19147, Jun 13, 2012.

1. conorm19147 macrumors newbie

conorm19147

I just bought the new MacBook Pro 13" with the 2.5Ghz processor and I was wondering if someone could help me locate 16Gb of ram for it for around $100 (but I'm willing to go over). Thanks!

2. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

3. Danthesaxman macrumors newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 8gb is the maximum the new MBP's can handle...

4. conorm19147 thread starter macrumors newbie

conorm19147

That's Apple's official statement but like the previous model I'm pretty sure it supports 16 even though apple doesn't say it does

5. SisterRay macrumors regular

Has anyone got 16Gb installed and working? This would be one of the reasons I would choose this over the Air

6. conorm19147 thread starter macrumors newbie

conorm19147

Thanks totally forgot about OWC, I'll probably end up spending that much so $170 sounds pretty good

7. Chief Pilot macrumors newbie

Question

I have the same problem. And I don't know if it work.

Is it worth, if it works? I mean will you feel a difference between 8GB and 16GB?

I think there's a certain point from which on the processor is to slow to make stronger RAM pay. Not because the RAM is not supported but just because the CPU has an upper limit of work capability. In that case even 32GB would make NO difference on your machine even if it is supported.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are there any cheaper kits than the OWC one?

Also, I have been told that the 1333mhz ram should work in these machines. There is a 75 dollar 16gb kit from Komputerbay on amazon....a litle leary about them though

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You're wrong. ;)

The amount of RAM used has no correlation to the number of cores or speed of the CPU.

OS X will make best use of the RAM fitted. Most users will find 8GB more than sufficient. Complex graphics work and virtual machines may benefit from more than 8GB.

I'd steer clear of cheap no-brand RAM. You can't go wrong with Crucial in my experience.