New Macbook pro 13'' vs old Macbook pro 15'' vs imac 27''

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wpsxkwhf, Oct 31, 2016.

1. wpsxkwhf macrumors newbie

I waited new macbook pro and was sure to get the 15'' + monitor (at home). But because of the price, I decided that the new 15'' macbook pro is just not worth it.
    So I am in a situation where I have to choose from different models!
    1. New 13'' with touch bar price at $1799 + monitor
    2. Old 15'' macbook pro price at $1999 + monitor
    3. Imac 27'' price at $1799

I have my ipad with me but I am planning to give my brother as he is going to college.
    If I buy Imac, I will have to keep my ipad.

What do you guys think? Should I just wait till Thanksgiving and see which one is the most cheapest?

2. wpsxkwhf thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?!!

3. dimme macrumors 65816

What type of computing do you do, if you do not need portability the iMac is the best choice in my option.

4. wpsxkwhf thread starter macrumors newbie

Lets say I would need little bit of both....

5. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Since your first two options involve you spending over $2K, why not get the higher spec iMac 5k for $1999. You'll get a much faster Fusion drive (the standard hard drive in the $1799 model has an unbearable slow normal hard drive) along with a faster CPU and better graphics card.

Better still, you can do what I did: I bought the top end model from the Apple Certified Refurbished website for $1949. (I saved $350 off buying new.)
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/F...uad-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-5k-display
    It has a 2TB fusion drive, and even faster CPU and even more powerful graphics processor.

These come with the same 1 year Apple warranty, and are shipped to you in Apple's trademark beautiful packaging. (Been buying Apple Certified Refurbished for years -- never had a problem).

6. dimme macrumors 65816

If you go with the iMac be sure to get the 2GB fusion drive, the performance is much better that the 1GB version.

7. ascender macrumors 68020

an iMac for home and an iPad or 12" MacBook for work on the move?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

You can also get the 1999 iMac config at BB or Amazon for 1899. Go basic with memory and buy aftermarket from OWC or Crucial. You'll save hundreds.