New Macbook Pro 15" a few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beasse, Jul 11, 2009.

1. beasse macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have just got my first laptop and believe it or not it's a Mac.. One year ago this would not be the case at all but the fact that you can run Windows on a MAC now via bootcamp and what not has persuaded me to go Macbook Pro!

I have installed Windows via bootcamp and i would like to be able to choose to use my Geforce 9400 Integrated graphics card instead of the 9600M whenever it pleases me. I am also itnerested to be able to access the Windows filesystem in bootcamp from my OS X Leopard... I can access it now and view things but i can not write to the system.

I have also noticed that the performance on the graphics card under OS X with the magsafe unplugged drastically reduces the performance in terms of frames per second.

While being in a multi platform environment (SecondLife) i have ~25-40 FPS which is considered good... very good for a notebook. Then i unplug the magsafe cable and FPS Drops down to ~14... Should it not be possible to manage this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know about the enabling of the 9400m under Windows, but maybe MRoogle might be of help.

As to writing to an NTFS formatted volume under Mac OS X:
    MacFuse + NTFS-3G drivers.

Normally when the battery is removed, one experiences slowdowns in CPU performance, but while running only from battery, there shouldn't be a slowdown.

Have you calibrated your battery yet?

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

But the new 15" MBPs have integrated batteries, which would make them just a bit harder to actually remove. ;)

I think he means when he unplugs AC power from the MBP...

OP:

When you're running on battery power in Mac OS, it defaults to "Normal" power mode, which reduces the performance of the CPU, GPU, display, etc. to conserve battery life. You can adjust these settings or make a custom one in Energy Saver (it's in the System Preferences). But just keep in mind that more aggressive settings will reduce battery life, of course.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

[OP:

When you're running on battery power in Mac OS, it defaults to "Normal" power mode, which reduces the performance of the CPU, GPU, display, etc. to conserve battery life. You can adjust these settings or make a custom one in Energy Saver (it's in the System Preferences). But just keep in mind that more aggressive settings will reduce battery life, of course.[/QUOTE]

Exactly; you will probably get better "performance" when the computer is plugged in; in battery mode, the computer will seek to conserve power unless you adjust the settings (which in turn, will also affect battery charge length).

Congrats on your new MBP, enjoy it and may both you and your MBP live long and prosper together.

Cheers and good luck

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I know that the OP meant the AC adapter, but in a time not long ago when you could remove the battery, the computer slowed down its performance.
    I was just pointing to that issue, as I don't understand, why it should slow down, when the computer is running from battery.
    Strange.

Maybe an SMC reset could help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411 .

6. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

" in You can adjust these settings or make a custom one in Energy Saver"

I see.. I have looked into the system preferences and i have not seen where i can change this other than small check boxes....

I don't know either how to run the 9400 via bootcamp as well..

MacFuse + NTFS-3G
    I did install MacFuse + NTFS-3G drivers and that works alright. I have a 100 GB truecrypt container with NTFS filesystem which i mount in windows and mac via truecrypt to put all my downloads so they are secure if some unauthorized gets the idea to look into my machine. I have used Unarchiver and UnrarX to unrar files and UnrarX is definitely the fastest of them two althoug the process is nearly double as fast within Bootcamp windows...

Mroogle.. i will check that out...

7. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't calibrated my battery yet other than letting my MBP run completely out till it said "now running on reserve" then i went to bed and had it under charge during the night.