New MacBook Pro 15 inch - shocking internet speeds!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snazy20, Jul 11, 2011.

1. snazy20 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Been using my new macbook pro for just over a week now, and it's been fantastic!

However, the internet speeds I'm receiving on it are awful. I can't even stream youtube videos and using Bittorrent clients, it's about a 10th of the speed I'd get on my old laptop in the same wireless network!

There must be a setting or something on my new macbook to sort this out? I've tried resetting router and all that stuff, and put some of the OpenDNS and googleDNS numbers into the advanced network settings, with no luck. Are there any other things I can try out? Or does it mean I have to buy a router with 'N' speed on it? At the moment I'm using the standard Sky Netgear router, which works perfectly with other laptops/iphones/ps3 etc in the house :(

Thanks for any help...

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Everyone knows about these issues, hopefully a fix in OS X Lion.

3. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, that's not what I wanted to hear :( unless Lion does sort it out!

How annoying..lightning fast laptop, slow as .... internet. Quite frustrating. If Lion doesn't sort it out, guess I'll have to fork out on a new router :(

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I haven't had this problem, and I'm on various wifi networks all the time (and always streaming 4-hour long video lectures)