New Macbook Pro 15' Retina Body "tick" sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacbookPr015R, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MacbookPr015R macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I purchased the late 2013 Macbook Pro 15' Retina 2.3GHZ three days ago.

Everything is great except for when I press down on the very bottom left hand corner of the laptop when its open, it makes a "tick" sound. I'm also able to replicate that "tick" sound, when I pick up the laptop(in the open position) from the bottom portion under the keyboard(left and right area surrounding the track pad)

I was wondering if this is normal, and/or if any of you guys experience the same thing. It's my first Mac, and I'm not sure if the laptop should or shouldn't make these sounds.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

You need to reseat your bottom plate. Either have an Apple Genius do it or buy a $5 pentalobe driver from Ebay. I had apple do this for me in the past but they stripped/rounded some of the screw heads.

3. MacbookPr015R thread starter macrumors newbie

Did doing so get rid of this "tick" for you? Should it be like this right out of the box?

4. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Yes I had apple reseat the bottom plate. And the problem was fixed. I could not wait any longer for my tool to be delivered. Apple ended up damaging the screws and scuffing up the black feet. It may be only cosmetic but I will not accept that for a brand new machine. I ended up returning the first gen retina to wait for the Haswell version.

5. silver82 macrumors newbie

I have received yesterday mine rMBP 15" with the same issue and I have just called them to arrange a replacement.

6. Baadshah macrumors 6502

Its called creaking problem. I ordered 15" Haswell mbpr after the keynote, but got one with creaking and flexible bottom. They replaced but it had the same issue. Now I have received my 3rd one with same problem. Apple is now going to give me a 4th one. I really pray and hope to get lucky this time. Apple really has no quality control

7. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

FYI, these are fixable with some easy user modifications. I received one with flexing (and creaks) on the bottom plate. Before returning it, curious as I am, I decided to open it up, and taped small pieces of folded paper in "safe zones" where I noticed there to be flexing, screwed the bottom plate back on - and poof, absolutely no more flexing or creaks. (I used folded paper to fill the gaps where I could flex the bottom case. The paper was flash card paper, so, thicker than printing paper)

Of course, the argument can be made that a new unit should come without defects... but for those of you who are tired of swapping out machines, or are past your return period - there is hope!

8. msavwah macrumors 6502

I had this problem so I stopped by the store and had them reseat/tighten the screws on the bottom.
    Don't have the tool..

9. Danlevm macrumors newbie

i guess i will go to the apple store to get them to tighten my screws...this solves the creaking problem?

10. Mac.User macrumors 6502

My 13in Air from a few years ago had that and so did a few other, and some Machines at my work. In all of them just tightening the screws made it go away.

Its nothing to worry about.

11. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Good God. I'm picking my 2.3 tomorrow and I really hope this isn't a wide spread issue :(

12. myc5038 macrumors newbie

i took mine in for a replacement no questions asked. new one is creak free :)

13. Shmanky macrumors regular

14. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

15. Shmanky macrumors regular

It's been a year and a half since I got it; but still under Apple Care.

16. Mac.User macrumors 6502

God lord, it's just tightening a screw, big freaking deal.

17. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

No, its not that simple. That is not a guaranteed fix.

18. Mac.User macrumors 6502

This isn't something new. Air's have had it since their redesign, so have the older retina machines.

I find it ridiculous some people have been petty enough to swap out 4 machines due to something like this. I'm sure some people will say "put I paid a lot" Sure, but it's not as much as your car and I GUARANTEE people don't swap out their car for every little creek and wiggle.

Some of the OCD on here is enough to make me laugh at people and wonder if they really have that little going on in life that a creek is a big worry to them.

19. Baadshah macrumors 6502

Its not about that people don't have much to do, but more that the product has to be perfect when paying 3k for a laptop. If you buy a brand new Mercedes would you be ok with that there is a flat tyre or if you can feel a spring inside the seat? You will just get it replaced or get money back. I swap my laptop every 3-4 yrs that's why I want a flawless machine and I don't care if Appe have to replace 10 laptops

20. Serban Suspended

You mean "FN" button?

21. Mac.User macrumors 6502

If you had a door that may have a small squeak to it when you opened it would you go back and just ask them to fix it, and if they can't would you trade your car back 2-3 times. A flat tire or a spring inside a seat can effect your actual driving experience. Hearing a creek when just holding your laptop does not effect how it's performs or how comfortable you are using it.

Flawless doesn't exist. You are simply trading an imperfection you know about for one you don't

22. Serban Suspended

solid build-thats is the way apple say about their laptops/ipads etc.
    solid build = please give us the definition

P.S- if my rMBP 15" has no issues why he can't have the same product us i am?

23. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Obviously not since some people are saying that doesn't fix the issue.

24. MacbookPr015R thread starter macrumors newbie

They replaced my first one because after tightning the bottom, the creaking sound came back. The replacement they gave me had a nick or chip on the side out of the box, so they replaced me with a third one but warned me no more replacements if something goes wrong. Guess what...my third one doesn't sit flat on tables so it wobbles...

I have no words.

25. Breedlove macrumors regular

Do you have any pictures of how you did this?

I finally got a rMBP without bleeding/uneven tinting and I am holding onto this one for dear life.

BUT there is minor ticking/creaking. I just ordered a pentalobe screwdriver and will be fixing this myself and your fix seems like it could work for me!