New Macbook pro 15" Sata 600?? SSD? Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanderbaco, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sanderbaco macrumors newbie

I just orderd the new macbook pro 15 inch with a 500gb harddrive. Now I want to remove the superdrive for an optical bay. In this bay I want to put an ssd, but is it possibile to install a sata 600 ssd? because I want maximum performance.

I read somewere that the new macbook pro supports sata 600! The superdrive is probably connected to the sata 300 connector, but does anybody knows how the internal harddrive is connected? I hope that this is a sata 600 port?

Who can help me?

thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

From what I've read, the hard drive is indeed connected to SATA 6Gb/s port. If you want the maximum performance, wait for OCZ Vertex 3 to come out.

3. sanderbaco thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I read that today, I am sure going to wait! 550MB/s incredible!!!

But I need a confirm that it is 100% sata 600 who knows?

4. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I'm in a similar situation. I want to order a SSD for my new MacBook Pro but I really would like confirmation on the existence of SATA III before I go forking out the extra cash for a super-high end drive.

5. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I too am wondering the same, is it SATA 3 for the SATA ports? I'd like to have an SSD and HD in my new MBP.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Arent there SATA III ssd's out already?

7. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I cant wait for these new drives but I think they are going to be very expensive

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

OP, as you can see in the following thread the HDD is indeed operating on SATA III. If you want SATA III support for a SATA III SSD though you'll have to move the HDD to the optibay and put the SSD where the current HDD is. The ODD SATA port won't support 6Gb/s.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430&highlight=

9. TheHoff macrumors 6502

It is indeed SATA III and I'd expect if enough bitching happens, Apple will change the ODD port to use or report as SATA III as well. Remember the original Unibodies that only reported as SATA I? They got an update so it all reported SATA II.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is Crucial C300 lineup but it only offers ~355MB/s IIRC. It is an okay drive but SF-2000 based SSDs will offer +500MB/s. Crucial C400 and Intel Emcrest SSDs which both support SATA 6Gb/s should start shipping soon too.

Quite similar to current Vertex 2 lineup

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4186/ocz-vertex-3-preview-the-first-client-focused-sf2200

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Apple maybe is dumbing down "negotiating" the ports again? A user earlier had it read 3Gb and after putting in a 3rd party SATA lll drive the link speed showed 6Gb.

12. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

What I fear is the obvious though. Intel's recall of the sandy bridge chipset. The problem is the 6gb port failing. So apple uses the 3gb port which is fine. It might work now but will fail soon as I don't believe apple had the time to fix the chipset on these now macbook pros. I am sure all macbook pros made next month will be fine.

13. Hellhammer, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430

There is confirmation that at least the 17" uses SATA 6Gb/s for the HD.

Negotiated speed will be 3Gb/s unless you install a drive that supports SATA 6Gb/s. Stop looking at the negotiated speed, what really matters is the speed of the link.

It's the other way around. SATA 6Gb/s ports were fine but 3Gb/s ports had issues.

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Can't find the link but the user I was referring to saw both the link and negotiated change. Link 3Gb, Neg 3Gb. New SATA lll... Link 6Gb, Neg 6Gb.
    But that may have been the opti-bay.

15. sanderbaco thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! this is what I was looking for! now waiting for a super fast SSD to order:D Which optibay do you all use?? is there a difference between them