New Macbook Pro 15" -- VGA adapter may fry computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maknik, Jun 21, 2009.

1. maknik macrumors regular

So, I haven't been able to find anything on this online yet (checked here, Google, discussions.apple.com), and I could well be wrong, so proceed with care and let me know if this is debunked, and I'll edit appropriately.

I was at J&R World (New York) earlier today, to buy a VGA adapter for my brand new MacBook Pro 15". Not knowing which kind I needed, I asked the guy, but when he went to get one for me, they were all out. He checked the computer, and it said they were in stock, but before it could be resolved, the store closed.

So I go to the Apple Store in Soho, and having already forgotten which "mini-" or "micro-" thingie I needed, I ask again. And thank goodness. The guy asks me which computer I have, and I tell him the Macbook Pro. New? Brand new. Hmm, he says, let me check, they're changing them. I'm a bit puzzled about what that means, especially since I can see all the types sitting on the shelf right there. He comes back. What size do you have again? 15 inch. Damn, he says, the other sizes are okay, but there's a problem with the newly updated 15". A problem? I say. But it's brand new! Yeah, he says, something is wrong, I don't know what technically, they're fixing it in the adapters. So, doesn't that mean there's something wrong with the computer, then? Anyway, he hems and haws, and says something about the old adapters frying the computer, that it only affects the brand new 15" models, and that it seems to be related to the sound card. I asked him when the new adapters would be in, but he didn't know. Only after I left did I think about the fact that they appear to still be selling the old ones to anyone who knows enough not to ask.

This obviously requires corroboration, but it seems like a pretty serious problem to me if there are a lot of the old adapters out there already (are there?). I don't want to live in fear that, even if I get a new one, I need to have it with me always (often projectors in our department have adapters in the bag with them), and that if I mix it up with someone else's, it may fry my computer! Also, surely it must mean there's something wrong with my Macbook Pro -- and after the (literally) 12 things that went wrong with my old Macbook, I'm pretty wary.

Anyone else heard this? Any Apple Store workers who can corroborate? If it's false, I'll happily delete this, but the odd behavior at J&R and the confidence of the Apple Store clerk make it seem pretty solid -- I'm just surprised I can't find any info online.

2. allanibanez macrumors regular

i've been using my vga adapter virtually non stop since october connecting it to multiple monitors and hd tv's. so far i have set fire to zero of these things. The only bit that annoyed was having to spend £20 on this thing when i spent £1700 on a laptop...

3. maknik thread starter macrumors regular

This is a problem, so he said, with the brand new 15 inch MacBook Pros -- not the earlier ones, and no other size.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I don't mean to be blunt or intrusive or anything but I think that guy is an idiot. All of my experiences with the SoHo Apple Store have been negative. You should have went to 14th and 10th or 9th or whatever it is.

5. maknik thread starter macrumors regular

He seemed knowledgeable, and also went and checked with someone in the back. I've never seen an Apple Store employee make up something out of wholecloth like that. In addition, it is consistent with the oddly missing stock at J&R.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hmm, I guess that is a good point that it is missing at another store not affiliated with Apple. Especially J&R seeing that it's a busy place I would expect them to have VGA adapters, and a lot of them.

7. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I bought an adapter for my NEW MBP 15" but haven't tried it yet. Will try tomorrow if I get time and post up.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

I used a VGA adapter with my new MBP for a few hours after I got it and nothing happened. I have since switched to a 24" cinema display though, so I don't know what would have happened if I used it longer.

9. maknik thread starter macrumors regular

I imagine that, insofar as the problem exists, it's a rare occurence. But if anyone else does encounter issues or information, please post it.