New MacBook Pro 15" - Worth waiting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Plusbits, Sep 15, 2011.

  1. Plusbits macrumors member

    Plusbits

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
    #1
    Hey all!

    I'll be starting uni very shortly and I'm planning on getting a 15" MacBook Pro since I'll be doing a fair amount of image and video editing. I've decided I'd like the high-res screen but I can't decide between the 750Gb 5400rpm drive or the 500Gb 7200rpm drive. Any suggestions?

    Also, is it worth waiting a few weeks to see if Apple update the i7 chipsets as has been rumoured? I'm not sure whether to bother or not as I could get the back to school deal and get £65 ($100) credit in the App Store.

    If I were to buy the current model and Apple released an update a week later, would it be possible to return and exchange my current model for the newer one?

    Thanks in advance, guys! :)
     
  2. Nachi macrumors newbie

    Nachi

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #2
    I was thinking that too because soon I will buy my first Macbook Pro. I decided to just buy it and not wait for something that is only a rumor, take advantage of the school promotion.:):apple:
     
  3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

    gorskiegangsta

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2011
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #3
    Honestly, there isn't a significant speed difference between the 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives. I'd say, go for the 750GB so that you'll have more space for your image and video projects.


    Is it worth waiting for still unannounced, rumored 2011 MBP refresh which will likely only be a CPU upgrade option in custom-to-order configuration? In my opinion, no.


    According to Apple's return policy, you have 14 days (from the time you receive your product) to initiate a return process. This will give you 2 full weeks to try the laptop. Should the "new" models come out during that time, you'll be able to return your "old" model, get your money back, and then be able to repurchase the "new" one.
     
  4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #4
    One thing to keep in mind for HDD speed is not only the RPM, but data density. What that means is because there is much more data on a platter, the read/write head moves a bit less for reads/writes, increasing performance.

    This is why a 1TB 5400 RPM drive has roughly the same performance as a 500GB 7200 RPM drive.
     
  5. ihji macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2011
    #5
    If you need a laptop NOW, buy one. But if it's not that urgent, just wait for few weeks.

    Nothing but a small CPU bump is speculated. However, nobody knows what will happen in late 2011 refresh.
     
  6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

    blackhand1001

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    #6
    This does not improve seek times however which are much worse on a 5400 rpm drive vs a 5400rpm. Get the 7200 rpm drive, its much better.
     
  7. Plusbits thread starter macrumors member

    Plusbits

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
    #7
    Thanks guys, that's been pretty helpful!

    I'll be using an external drive for most of my music and videos so I reckon the 500 would be better as trying to render a huge video is slow as it is so even a minute or two shaved off would be useful!

    I think I may well get one now and then just return it and upgrade. So Apple offer a complete refund should I decide I want the newer model if a lot has changed?

    Also, in terms of portability, I think I'm gonna get the 15" version. Is the 17" easy enough to carry around, or would it be a lot more awkward?

    Thanks again! :)
     
  8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    #8
    I loove my 17". I also am not worried about a CPU refresh as my 17 is easily the most powerful computer I've ever used.

    I chose the 17" because I realized it was the same price as the loaded 15", same hardware, etc. They are gigantor, though. Still not too big IMHMFO.
     
  9. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #9
    Get the high resolution antiglare display, and get the 500GB 7200RPM drive. There's a noticeable enough difference in responsiveness between 5400RPM and 7200RPM drives. Nothing drastic like going from an HDD to an SSD, but enough to consider.

    I'd wait too, as it seems likely Apple will bump the CPU speeds.
     
  10. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    #10
    Honestly I wouldn't buy anything with the intent of quickly flipping it for a newer model, especially when the new model is just rumors.

    You are just setting yourself up for fail and/or buyers remorse by not being "all in" on the purchase.

    If you need it now, buy it and use it, while maybe avoid the rumor sites for a while.

    If you can wait, do so - there will be at least one update in the next 6 months, if not more than one.

    Also I'd recommend going for a faster 7,200 rpm drive over the slower higher capacity drive. External capacity drives are less expensive everyday and you'll eventually have Thunderbolt to use.

    The 200GBs and change more usable GB is only good in this value prop if you plan on filling it up and doing so soon after getting it. Otherwise you're trading storage tomorrow for performance (time?) today.
     

Share This Page