new macbook pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ankushpatel, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ankushpatel macrumors regular

Hello i have a macbook pro 15"

When the computer is running i hear a fan, and also a small "spinnning/light very light hissing sound" you know the old sdtv's when you leave it on and you hear that sound when its on. I hear it when my macbook pro is on, and its weird because when i click on something or scroll down on a page or etc. the sound goes away for a second while i do that then it comes back.

Is this simply my hard drive spinning or is it more then that? I also hear this sound on my dads old macbook pro 17"

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Is this noise coming from the botton left or up near the screen? If it's coming from near the screen then it's likely the inverter.
    Two of my past MBPs (not the current version) had this issue. Initially Apple gave me a hard time, but eventually agrees to replace the inverter which solved the problem. If you bought your machine from Apple or Amazon, or other store w/ a decent return/exchange policy, i.e., not MacMall, MacZone, MacConnection, etc, etc. I'd take it back and get a new one that doesn't make noises it shouldn't.

If it's coming from the bottom left it's the hard drive. Your options are to live w/ it, but in a different HD on your own dime, or best, put in a dead quiet SSD.

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Thats just the sound of the tiny elves whistling while they work. Apple enslaved a race native in the south Pacific region to work day and night for you, the consumer; forever locked away in your precious laptop. When you go to sleep please be sure to leave Oreo cookies and a glass of warm milk beside your laptop. They will forever love you for that.

4. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

bottom left

its actually coming from the bottom left, and when i open new applicatios and stuff the spinning stops.

thats simply the hard drive working right?

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

In the unibody 15'' mbp's, the hard drive is on the bottom right hand side of the laptop to the immediate right of the trackpad. So I doubt it's the hard drive in this case.

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I had that same exact problem. I'm glad that I wasn't just imagining it. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it, but it seems to fix itself over time. It started happening about a month ago and stopped happening 5 days ago. It was driving me nuts. BTW, I thought it was strange that it would always go away when I scrolled down a page. Is there a slightly more power consumed while scrolling? :confused:

7. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm very weird

See its not the hard drive because as someone mentioned above the hard drive is on the right of the computer, but its coming from the left of the keyboard something spinning, and when i open up an application or like scroll down on a page it stops and then continues again.

8. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I remember the noise coming from the power brick charger and not the computer itself, but I'm not positive.

9. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

application quiet macbook pro

i was reading on a forum a topic back in 2006 and someone reccomended the app quietmbp and i just downoaded it the sound goes away when i have the app set and open,

should this sound be happening in the first place? this is a brand new laptop and it seems like its the "processor" according to the app quietmbp