New MacBook Pro 17" i5 Streaming Video full screen problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alriley, Jul 1, 2010.

1. alriley macrumors newbie

So I've had my new MBP for a week, it's a thing of beauty and I'm totally happy with it. However there is one very strange issue I've noticed when watching streaming video content...

The problem is in full screen mode when streaming online video. e.g. from BBC iPlayer or Megavideo. The video plays back fine in embedded mode but as soon as I hit the full screen button it becomes jittery / choppy.

Now here's the extra weird bit: when I have a second display connected via the display port, the problem goes away and I can watch full screen streaming video on either screen without a problem.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Al

2. chopper dave macrumors regular

Your integrated graphics is probably not switching over to embedded when you play the video, and plugging in an external display forces it to switch. Try GfxCardStatus to get a little more control over when it switches.

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

3. alriley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave, it would appear that you are completely right. I installed GfxCardStatus and full screen video only runs smoothly if I select NVIDIA only.

It's a bit annoying that I need to run this app though...is this a fault with my setup or nothing to worry about?

Are any other 2010 Macbook Pro owners experiencing the same thing?

4. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

That may not even be it. Right click any flash box and make sure that Hardware acceleration is NOT ticked! There seems to be an issue with this being checked and the intel card. I assure you that the intel gpu is more than adequate to run HD video at full screen resolution.

5. freshj macrumors newbie

freshj

I have the same problem. Do you think Adobe will fix this?

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I run with my MBP set to Intel Only for web browsing/web video and I have had no problems with fullscreen video.

I use the nVidia card if I need more performance for something like After Effects or Star Craft 2.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Never experienced that, and I play a lot of videos at full screen...

8. freshj macrumors newbie

freshj

Okay, do you two have the latest version of Flash installed?

9. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Adobe Flash Player Install Manager:

Versión: 10.1.81.24
    Última modificación: 3/06/10 22:48
    Clase: Intel
    64 bits (Intel): No
    Ubicación: /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app

10. freshj macrumors newbie

freshj

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

11. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Old thread. But I wanted to add that this suggestion worked perfectly for me. I noticed the same jittery behavior in full screen which was odd - I knew it wasn't a switching issue, running any app that enables nVidia and it was still doing it.

Anyone else who encounters this problem, definitely try disabling the hardware acceleration first and see if that fixes it.

12. zer06ame macrumors member

Updating to Flash 10,1,82,76 fixed my issue

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say that updating my flash player to 10,1,82,76 fixed the full screen playback issue on my 15" i7.

It seems that you were able to get yours working fine another way but I'd definitely recommend anyone else with the issue to try updating their flash plug-in and seeing where that leaves them.