New MacBook Pro 17" kernel panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucagfc, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

Todays arrives my new MacBook Pro 17". At the first start I restored from my Time Machine Backups and alls works grate.

At the end of the backup the computer login with the account imported from the Time Machine Backup and all seems to work grate until I run iTunes. I recieved a black screen that ask me to reboot the computer.

I reboot the computer and now I' m downloading the new 10.6.7

What has happened to me is a kernel panic?

Normally this is a hardware problem?

Thanks

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It can be, but more often than not its software based. Run the hardware test to be sure. It may not ever happen again.

3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I' m updating to 10.6.7 after that I try to open iTunes again. If the problem come back I think that probably it' s an iTunes software error or can be an hardware problem also in this case?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Run the hardware test to determine if it is a hardware failure. If you post the panic.log we can figure out what caused it as well.

5. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Later today I try to do the hardware test and also I will post that file. Where is located?

Thanks for helps!

6. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

You can run the Apple Hardware Test from the Application Install Disc (the second grey disc) that came with your Mac.

To boot into the Apple Hardware Test:

1. Place the Application Install Disc in your computers optical drive.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Immediately hold down the "D" key before hearing the computer chime.
    4. You'll see a loading image appear on your screen, wait for the hardware test to analyze your computers hardware components.

For more information on running Apple Hardware Test, please see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509.

Have a great day. :)

7. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot.

When the 10.6.7 install will terminate i will run the HW test. After that i come back to report the result and to post the log file. Can you tell me where' s located? thanks!

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The information is added to a log file in the folder /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

9. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks later today I will post the file!

I' m really disappointed about that issue. The MacBook Pro 17" is really wonderful. Incredbly fast and the screen is really great although is TN panel!

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's really not that big of a deal unless it happens often. Like I said, it may not ever happen again. I've been using Mac's for 8 years and i've had 2 kernal panics.