New Macbook Pro 17 versus Yesterday's MBP 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonR, Jun 9, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Here's my dilemma: I can get the new MBP 17" for $2299 (EDU discount) or last week's Macbook Pro 17" for $2099. Both come with a free iPod ($229 iPod Touch 8 GB).

Old MBP 17" Specs
    2.66 Ghz, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive, Same graphics card and battery (I believe).

New MBP 17" Specs
    2.8 Ghz, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive.

I also believe i can get either one with a Matte display for $50 more. The Apple Store had the old ones in stock (both matte and glossy) and they think they're getting the new ones tomorrow in Matte and Glossy. There's the whole display of Glossy versus Matte but I'm still undecided. The Glossy Screen does look way better, and I could even see some reflections in the Matte Screen at the Apple Store.

What should I do? I'm torn...

2. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

I'm in the same exact position! I plan to buy a 17inch macbook pro this week too. I've been thinking about, and I'm leaning on getting the old macbook pro for $2099 with the student discount. From what I can see, the only difference is a slightly faster processor and a larger hard drive in the new just released 17s. The faster processor probably wouldn't be felt and I plan on upgrading the HDD myself. In my case, I think the extra .2Ghz is definitely not worth $200 bucks.

mmm, I think I may go pick it up tonight.

3. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Well, I WAS in the same position, but ended up getting a 17", 320gb 2.66ghz 4G ram, refurb for $1950 (FB604LL) about an hour ago. Hope I didnt pull the switch too soon, but in reality, dont care ( and cant). It's too late.
    Older models were going for the same (and in some cases, more).

4. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

5. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

get the older 17inch macbook. I'm leaving to go get it right now. You won't feel the processor speed dif.

6. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Actually, I suggest getting the newer one. The hard drive itself comes to about $100. Another $100 for a better CPU is quite nice (in Snow Leopard).

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Get what I got and let me know if we got a good deal! :)

(unless you dont like refurbs). most people dont.

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Dude, I'd be surprised if that speed difference amounts to anything noticable in real world applications...

9. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

**** it! I saved $200 and bought last week's MBP with the Matte screen. Employees at apple said go with the Matte. So all said and done I saved about $600. I got a $2749 MBP for $2149, minus the education discount plus the free iPod which I'll sell. Stoked!

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Congrats! I'm going to be picking up the new 17" later this week as well as some software with it and most likely a new iPod. Glad I waited a few extra weeks as the savings helps allow me to get a few more items.

I see it as the HDD and slight CPU bump is worth the little extra and I had saved enough up before so it's all good with the price drop, EDU discount and all that needs to be done is a custom install and enjoy :D