new MacBook Pro 17". When?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaoPao, Nov 4, 2008.

1. PaoPao macrumors newbie

I have been waiting to switch from Windows to Mac since beginning of Summer. I thought my wait was over when the new MacBook Pro were released and now I see the 17" (which I want) are still a far ahead mirage (let alone the shiny video now an obliged "choice").

Is it going to be at the next MacWorld? Or maybe never? Or maybe it's a sign I should stay with Windows?

Sorry guys but I am pretty frustrated by this "strategy". Anyone have any idea on what is going to happen?

PP

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

January. The 17" is often left behind since its not as popular.

3. PaoPao thread starter macrumors newbie

And by the way guys, in all honesty, do you really think it will be worth the wait? What's your personal opinion on the new line?

4. benjs macrumors regular

Well, let's assume the 17" gets the same updates as the new MBP, and a bit extra. I think likely you'll see a 2.6GHz processor standard, maybe 2.9GHz option, and the same glossy/glassy screen. You'll also likely lose the third USB port, and the FW400 port. As well, DVI will be replaced with Mini DisplayPort. For me, the loss of a FW400, DVI, USB port, and a matte screen option was enough to sell me on the current 17". As well, having 4GB of RAM and a high-definition screen standard are nice bonuses.

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

6. CalumC macrumors regular

3ghz + ish processor, 4GB ram, maaaaayyyyybe 8GB?

Glossy screen :D

I cant see a different graphics chip, 1GB of graphics seems unlikely.

7. starman0147 macrumors member

Macworld.

It surley has got too have a quad core processor, hence the delay and not being updated along with the rest of the line.
    Plus Dell will be releasing their 17" quad core machine, the M6400 soon so Apple have got to follow suite.