New MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gordyc44, Aug 15, 2007.

1. gordyc44 macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

After owning a Performa 630 a long time ago :eek:, I'm about to take the plunge again and buy a 17" MBP (hopefully this weekend). For money-saving reasons, I'm getting it from Canada (a relative is buying it) then shipped to New Zealand. Spec will be:

2.4GHz
    2GB RAM
    160GB HDD (7200rpm)
    High-res non-glossy screen
    AppleCare
    Possibly iWork'08 installed

I've already purchased the following items for it:

Parallels 3.0
    Booqbag Boa.XL[System]
    Apiotek 18-in-1 ExpressCard/34 Memory card reader

The only other things on my wishlist at the moment are a mini bluetooth mouse for when I'm on the road and a book on OS X. There's a good book available locally on Tiger - do any of you know any good ones or should I wait for one on Leopard? Haven't used OS X personally much yet at all - I'm a Windows SysAdmin and want to get technical with it so don't want a "how-to-use-iTunes" book, you know? ;)

Any advice on a bluetooth mouse? Can't go for a Logitech since I don't think they do any bluetooth ones and I don't want a dongle on the laptop.

Lastly, am I missing anything that you would recommend getting?

Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

Gordon.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Well, congrats (in advance) and welcome to Mac. I have same machine, except not hi-res.

I like the Apple wireless mighty mouse - but it is not that small - but I really like its scroll wheel.

The Missing Manual by Pogue is a great book for someone new. Leopard is October (probably late October) and even though quite a bit will change, you're probably better off getting a Tiger-based book now and not stumbling along.