New Macbook Pro 2.53GHz (Late 2008) Vibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackgmc, Oct 18, 2008.

1. blackgmc macrumors member

Hi,

I just got my new Macbook Pro 2.53GHz Late 2008 Model and I have noticed that when resting my palms on the computer you can feel a vibration. Vibration gets worse when the computer is not on a flat surface ? ( Like if your holding it or its on your lap )

Anyone else having this problem ?

2. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Your hard drive or fans may be imbalanced or defective. Definitely sounds like HDD since it starts more when you tilt your computer. Try taking the drive out and reinserting.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Try to get a a replacement computer; no need to waste time trying to diagnose and fix.

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I know this is probably dumb, but do you have a disc in the drive performing some operation?

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

Which hard drive did you order and do you have a CD/DVD in the drive when you have it in your lap?

6. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

No there is no CD in the computer I have been using it for the pass 7 hours and the vibration seems to have gotten a little worse.

I got the 320GB 5400RPM drive that comes with the stock 2.53GHz MBP.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Back up the computer and really consider the replacement. Sounds like the HDD is defective.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

use the 3 prong adapter instead of the 2 prong plug.

Hopefully they fixed that weird vibration from the old school MBP's and PB's

9. chermen macrumors newbie

I have new unibody Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz with HD spinning at 7200 rpm. I have recently noticed that it vibrates lightly - vibration doesn't depend on whether it is plugged or airport is on or off. Vibration is light, but rather vexing. At first I thought, I was being fussy, but then I compared to my one-year old HP laptop and older macbooks and realized it was real.

Today I tried to replace it at the apple store, but they said - "vibration was normal". I noticed that an old macbook they had on display also was vibrating just as mine, other laptops however, did not. I felt disappointed with apple policies.

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem with one. Had it replaced. I think it were the fans causing it. Just exchange it..

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

My new MacBook Pro makes a grinding sound when I pick it up and move it, or when I tilt it forward/backward. It sounds like there's something loose inside the case rattling around. I don't really have the option of replacing it because A.) it's a CTO and they can't and B.) I have software that's tied to the motherboard and don't want to rebuy it.

So, I guess I'll have to send it off for repair. Less than two weeks with my computer! Is there another channel other than the sjobs email to complain, I don't want to have to keep sending emails there all the time.

12. Identiti macrumors newbie

7even... How obvious was ur vibration to get it replaced..... Like I've had laptops before and you wouldn't know if it were on or off from touch....

With my new MBP, it's obvious when it's on because you can feel it vibrating... But I can imagine some people woudl think I was being over picky

Does that matter? Was yours really rumbling or just a very dull rumble?