New MacBook Pro (2.53Ghz) Temp and Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FetalSage, Oct 23, 2008.

1. FetalSage macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

So I come from a small 13" MacBook to the new MacBook Pro 15" 2.53ghz, so I am getting used to having a Pro machine.

My question is this, I did some compiling today (getting my RoR development environment setup) and the temperature for CPU A went up to 64 yet both the fans remained at 2000RPM. I remember that with my original MacBook that the fans would start spinning up more at around 60 too.

Just want to make sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks,
    :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why isn't it normal?

To answer your question, yes it's normal.

3. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Sounds good. There's no reason to worry if the temp stays around 65-70 - the only reason would be if the case get to hot to use in your lap. Then you probably can solve it be manually adjusting the fan speed.

I think it's a really good thing that the new Macbooks seems to run much cooler than the old ones - love silent computing. =)

4. FetalSage thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I didn't worry too much but wanted to make 100% sure. Especially on an expensive laptop. This thing is pretty quiet, I love it.

Not being normal as in the fans aren't kicking in when they're supposed to. I am just used to seeing them go on when my CPU hit 60.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're moving up to a larger MacBook Pro with two fans. Each revision of Apple's MacBook (Pro) have had slightly different thermal envelopes and default fan settings.

My MacBook doesn't rev up until it's over 62° C. Even then it's from 1800 RPM to 2100 RPM.

6. FetalSage thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense. Having two fans is nice...hehe.

Thanks Eidorian.

7. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I compared various temperature probes on the MacBook Pro 2.53 and 2.8 using Hardware Monitor while running Quake 4 at high resolution and high quality.

FYI, the CPU, GPU, memory controller, and northbridge temps were virtually identical through multiple nettimedemo runs. The fans on both ramped up to 6200rpm.

I'll post the details on BareFeats.com tomorrow when I post the 3D Game results comparing the two models.