New Macbook Pro, 2008 Penryn MacBook , 2007 Merom MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riz78612, Oct 14, 2008.

?

Which Macbook Pro is the best? and WHY?

1. New MacBook Pro 15"

50.0%
  2. 2008 Penryn MacBook Pro 15"

47.8%
  3. 2007 Merom MacBook Pro 15"

4.3%
  4. Other- please state

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. riz78612 macrumors regular

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3431

Starting with the MacBook Pro: Smaller, Bigger, Lower Power and Lower Battery Life?
    Ok now this is kind of sneaky, Apple made the MacBook Pro thinner than any other MacBook Pro, but it's wider, deeper and heavier. Granted, these are minor increases in dimensions, total volume actually decreased by about a percent. The 0.1 lbs increase in weight is most likely due to the use of glass on both the display and trackpad.

But for so much glass only a 0.1 lbs increase in weight isn't bad, oh but wait, the battery went from a 60WHr unit to a 50WHr unit. A lighter battery to offset weight gains elsewhere.

The give and take continues when you look at the hardware specs. Apple did a lot to reduce power consumption on the MacBook Pro: the GeForce 9400M chipset will use less power than Intel's G35M which was used on the previous notebook, DDR3 runs at a lower voltage than DDR2 (1.5V vs. 1.8V) and thus we see a drop in power there as well. However the reduction in total system power needs is offset by the fact that the new MacBook Pro has a smaller battery, so I'd expect battery life to stay roughly the same.

Granted the MacBook Pro was never a slouch when it came to battery life, I measured a worst case of 3.38 hours on the MacBook Pro and a best case of over 5.1 hours - just don't expect any better from the new one.

2. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Why would anyone consider the 2007 revision to be better than the 2008 one?

3. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

2008 Penryn FTW...new macbook pros suck :S
    They are like Macbooks,but with a couple extra features...not cool apple, not cool.
    Bring back the PRO part of the macbook pro!

4. cathyy macrumors 6502a

If you like the design, the new keyboard and don't mind a glossy screen, then get the new one.

Otherwise if you absolutely hate everything about the new design, then go with the Penryn MBP.

5. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Do the new MBPs still use the Penryn chipset or was that updated? If so, is it any faster even though the speeds are basically the same.

6. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

Exactly. This was "the update I was waiting for", as I've had to drag my PowerBook G4 12" kicking and screaming into each new year.
    To me, the spec increases as far as CPU, GPU, and HD accessibility go, it's worth it to me.

And of course, no offense to anyone else, but is this not what it all comes down to... who cares about what works for anyone else, use what works for you. ;)

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The new MBPs use an Nvidia chipset.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

For a GPU yes, what I'm getting at is did they go to Montevina on this one?

9. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

No I think that the Nvidia replaces the intel chipset as the main chipset in the computer. The 9400m built in is just a "bonus" for switching.