New Macbook Pro 2013 -graphics card update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a.tennant, Jan 1, 2013.

1. a.tennant macrumors newbie

Hi guys

After a few weeks of research I decided I was going to purchase a 15" retina Macbook Pro with 16gb ram and the 2.7ghz processor.

However I have read that there is expected to be in june 2013 a refresh in the macbook pro line. I will be using the retina primarily for work but I do like to do a bit of gaming so what I want to know is, should I wait till the refresh in June? Do you think the updated mbp will have a better graphics card? I have never bought a Macbook before, its a big expense for me and I want it to last me a good few years.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Happy New year! :-D

Andrew

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buyer a cheaper 15" model. Then spend the difference on a gaming computer.

3. a.tennant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for the reply.

I thought about it, but then I might as well buy a cheap notebook or macbook air which at least would be very light for carrying about and wouldn't cost nearly as much.

Portability is a must for me, would be good to be able to use it on the move rather than relying on a stationary desktop. I have a desktop which I very well might update next year but at the moment for my needs I would rather have a light but powerful laptop and the retina seems closest to that fit. I just want to know whether its likely the new mbp's will have a better graphics card? :-/ I have read there trying to lighten them as well which would make them suitable for my needs.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

The MBP will almost certainly get some form of spec bump this year, but I'd doubt they would bother doing much in the way of dramatic weight saving. That's what the Air is for, and if we are perhaps going to see a Retina Air turn up towards the end of the year they will be the ones trying to be light.

5. leman macrumors 604

What kind of games do you play? Even the base rMBP will play all the modern games with good settings and performance.

I am afraid you underestimate prices of gaming computers...

6. a.tennant thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, good to know!

I suppose its quite an eclectic taste- Starcraft 2, Far Cry 3, Total war, Portal, Borderlands 2 etc. I think it will meet me my needs I just would be awfully frustrated if in June new MBP's were announced with much improved dedicated graphic cards .

7. leman macrumors 604

I didn't play Far Cry 3, although I am sure that rMBP will be able to play it on 1680x1050 or 1440x900 with decent settings. Borderlands 2 is no problem at 1080p, and SC2/Portal are not demanding games. I play GW2 at 1080p with almost everything set to max and it also played Dishonored very well on 1680x1050

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't. I spend about $2000 on mine and it wasn't even the top of the line; it is however in every way a better gaming computer than my MacBook Pro.

But for about $1000; you can get a gaming computer that's at least comparable to the performance of a 15" MacBook Pro if not better.

9. a.tennant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I think I will probably just get it! I can always save up next year for a gaming desktop! As I said was just worried I might regret it, if better gaming MB's came out in June

Oh and I am assuming you are running this through windows via bootcamp? Or are they the IOS versions?

10. Krauser macrumors regular

Do you think we'll see a graphics card update (like a different card) before the roughly 2013 June haswell update or will the be keeping the GT650m with a minor spec bump for the processors before that date?

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you decide to build your own, gaming comps are very cheap.
    You can build a mid spec for less than 800.
    Spend 2000 on a Mac or a gaming computer, spec wise, gaming computer will win.

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No spec bumps before Haswell. Apple very rarely does spec bumps, and only when there is going to be well over 12 months between new models otherwise.

13. leman macrumors 604

I agree. What I meant is that getting a cheaper MBP + a worthwhile gaming PC is more expensive than getting a more expensive MBP, thats all.

----------

Yes, Windows.

14. EvanBlive91 macrumors member

Well haswell will be an upgrade for baseline integrated graphics. I don't know if graphics capabilities Between integrated and dedicated GPU can be shared. If they can it should be better, if not shouldn't make a difference. I don't know but Haswell will have much better integrated graphics for whatever that's worth. AMD did announce some new 8000 series graphics cards to compete with the likes of the 650M, I don't know if Apple will switch since they're all about power consumption and Nvidia Optimus is pretty dope. Well see...I'd say get it now and sell ur rMBP in Summer if the updates good, with Mac resell value you might end up spending an extra $100 overall.

15. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

700M series should be available then.

16. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Two quick suggestions for you;

1- Determine how much CPU performance you need. For gaming, the 'base' i7 CPU on the 15" MBP or the top end CPU are going to give you the same performance, it's the GPU that matters here and either CPU will work fine. You could save some money here if you aren't using CPU intensive applications. (But of course, better performance is never a bad thing!)

2- If you decide to not go with the retina model, Consider upgrading the RAM yourself, instead of letting Apple do it. You can get 16GB of RAM for $60~$90 all day long, cheaper if you find a sale. Absolutely no reason to go with RAM from Apple when the prices are so staggeringly different. This is, of course, not an option with the rMBP! So if you go that route it's moot.

17. nill1234 macrumors member

If you really need portability and power then a MBA and a Gaming pc ist the best choice. For 1000$ you will get a 300% better performance than the Macbook Pro Retina.

At the moment there are no leaks about the 700 series maybe nvidia will unveal sometihing at the CES but i doupt it.

18. a.tennant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! Some of you helped alleviate my worries. I decided to go ahead with my purchase of the mbpr. Very happy so far.

19. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

2013 macbook pro GPU upgrade 670MX ?

noticed new GPU cards on nvidia website. for example the 670MX is almost 25% faster then 650M. i cannot find TDP specs to speculate if 2013 macbook pro could possibly accommodate such card.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware

Attached Files:

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No. No upgraded MBPs until Haswell. There aren't any better CPUs available yet to justify any refresh, and I doubt there will be until Haswell.

If you want more from your GPU, overclock it.

21. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

of course until Haswell in 2013. only speculating what GPU will accommodate the 2013 model along with the CPU upgrade.

22. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

At which point in time there will likely be a new range of GPUs from either AMD or NVIDIA.

23. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

24. thundersteele macrumors 68030

There are no gaming MBs.
    However it is almost certain that the next rMBP will have a better GPU and a better CPU. Chances are there will be something called a Nvidia 750M, along with a Haswell CPU. Performance increase probably in the 10%-20% regime, as every year.

Another issue is storage. If you want to game, you most likely need a separate Windows partition with enough space to accomodate a few games. A typical size today is 10GB-20GB per game, more if they come with expansions.

25. Rswaffar macrumors newbie

I have the 13inch Mac Book Pro with retina display. I love my mac but they are just not made for heavy gaming. If portability is an issue and price I would get the Mac Air. Get it with the 256 flash storage and get a inexpensive PC for gaming. Where I would have a problem is that it is so hard once you use a Mac to even use a PC, so that is something to think about. The 15 inch Mac Book Pro is alot bigger than the 15 inch. I bought it and took it back because it was just to heavy and bulky . It was a great machine but my 13inch just is exactly perfect. Any mac that you get you will not be disappointed. They way I look at it, you are already out 1099, just on a base model so if you are buying your first Mac, get the one you really want and enjoy, I promise you will not be disappointed...I am a Mac Lover