New MacBook Pro (2016) Facetime 'HD' Camera

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Playmbl, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Playmbl macrumors newbie

Playmbl

Hi everyone! I'm new here.
    I've been using muy new 15" Macbook Pro, base model, for a couple of days now. After some UI crashing problems (eventually solved) everything was working fine, until I noticed the extremely bad quality of the FaceTime Camera. Image is very grainy, specially with low light conditions. Using it under natural daylight, it doesn't seem that bad, but under indoor lightning, quality is definitely worse than my previous mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Image is in very low quality and even the back seems kind of sparkling.
    I've made a Genius Bar reservation for tomorrow to compare it with other models. But I want to ask here if someone has noticed the same behavior.
    Let's see!

2. jason4427 macrumors member

Mine isn't so great on my 13" non touch bar model either. Have heard complaints on the other end.

3. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

That's because the FaceTime camera is crap... 480p

4. Playmbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Playmbl

Supposedly it's 720p in the MacBook Pro... but crappy camera anyway :confused:

5. Playmbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Playmbl

Finally, I went to the Apple Store today just to verify myself that all the new MacBooks pro have the same ****** camera. So... that's what we've paid for. o_O

6. devniel macrumors newbie

Same issue here, grainy like some kind of noise over the entire picture, it seems 480p.

Thanks for checking it.

PD : This is my first MacBook Pro (2016 tb 15'').

7. ascender macrumors 68020

The 480 camera is in the 12" MacBook, the MBPs get a 720 one.

8. Playmbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Playmbl

Unfortunately, "grainy and with some kind of noise over the entire picture" is exactly how images from this camera are. You can check it at the Store, if you want. I understand that the lid is very thin to have a great camera, but this is a really bad one. And those images, in the retina screen the MacBook Pro has (stunning by the way), just look more awful.

9. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

Meh, too much is put into this. i have the 12" for now, and i use facetime and google hangouts to talk with my out of state in laws. and show them videos of the new baby eating. no complaints on clarity.