New Macbook Pro 2018 Odor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesed, Dec 1, 2018.

1. applesed macrumors member

My new macbook pro 15 has an odor, makes me a little light-headed and itchy, and I notice it even when it is powered off. So I am not sure that it would be due to certain manufacturing adhesives needing to burn off. I have a 2018 air that I noticed the odor but it didn't last very long at all. Could it be due to the different manufacturing process? I read some old articles about similar problems and VOCs relating to the Mac Pro. Any thoughts, similar experiences, or suggestions? Thanks!

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

3. livinglist macrumors newbie

livinglist

Maybe your CPU and GPU are having a party and high.

4. Texas26257 macrumors regular

Texas26257

Damn did just read my MacBook stinks LOL this is great

5. applesed thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your honest contribution, but there is definitely a difference between the 2018 15 mbp and 2018 mba. I know all go through some offgassing but this is a lot.

6. FrostyF macrumors regular

Great, now I’m curious and will now have to start sniffing my 2018 13” and compare its stank to my 2018 15” arriving on Wednesday.

7. unglued macrumors 6502

I'll run my air monitor device when I receive my new 2018 MBP and see if it detects any volatile tvoc compounds or fine particles (PM2.5/PM10), might just be some China stench just needs time to burn off.

8. FrostyF macrumors regular

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see something like this thread once in a blue moon. There seems to be a rare occasion where someone does notice an odor from a new laptop. I have no idea what causes this, my laptop that I got this past summer had no such issue but like I said, its something that has cropped up rarely

10. applesed thread starter macrumors member

I need to make a decision soon, do you think Google express will let me exchange it? (It was a good price so rather not just return.) Or bring it into Apple to see if they will exchange it under their warranty?

11. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

yes, I recommend this procedure, specially for you area of soldered SSD

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Does it work fine? If so then You are bang out of luck with any return or warranty!!

13. applesed thread starter macrumors member

I'm within 14 days..so that's not a problem.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    that's an interesting remark, perhaps there are different substances used when doing this soldering?

14. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Light headed and itchy? I've seen it all now!

15. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

yes, there is a lot of adhesive on this area, also some people doesn't like smell of brand new products especially like electronics or cars, because adhesive, glue or other similar substances

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Cars I like. New mattresses and carpet, not so much :)

17. applesed thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if this one got boxed a little too quickly after they constructed it, instead of airing it out, the chemicals got baked into the laptop. I've had it a week and its not getting better, so I'm sending it back. Too bad, because this was on the deal $2100 no tax for the 15" 16/512/560x/2.6. Worth a try explaining at the apple store for a swap?

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Just purchased, unboxed and began setting up a new 15" 2018 MBP today......no scents whatsoever during the process. That said, I do distinctly recall that years ago when unboxing a new iMac, I most definitely picked up the wonderful, distinctive scent of apples...... :)

19. unglued macrumors 6502

That one I would keep.

20. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)

I did -- for years! :)