New Macbook Pro... accesories recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mahler, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Mahler macrumors newbie

I just gave in and bought a macbook pro 13 inch from a guy on Craigslist who sold it to me (3 year Applecare included) for $1050!! The Macbook was unopened and completely new.

Anyway... I am happy with it so far (and after having changed the hard drive to a 500gb one). But here's my question... I was thinking about what sort of accesories people usually get for Macbook Pros... screen protectors? palm rest? screen cleaners? all in all... what accesories do you recommend for this brand new Macbook pro? I take my computer with me everywhere and do everything with it (I am a social sciences PhD student, so I spend most of my time behind the screen, take notes with it, record classes, travel to conferences, etc.).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

if ur into protecting your laptop im using

moshi palm rests
    redfox keyboard skin but its pretty uncomfortable typing if u type alot or you might get used to it
    either macstyles laptop skins to protect the cover OR incase hardshell or speck hardshell to protect the outside

all can be found on amazon or your local electronics store,
    get a bluetooth mouse either microsoft or apple mice
    and yeah thats pretty much it

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

a quality sleeve and a good laptop backpack or a messenger with a laptop pocket. The wrist guard might be worth while, but I would skip the keyboard guard, hard case, and laptop skins.

I ended up getting my sleeve from sfbags.com. They are made in the USA and pretty nice/high quality. I also found the apple store had quite a few nice backpacks and sleeves, though I bought mine elsewhere. Still the apple store online had plenty of reviews.

I carry my macbook to school daily and cannot imagine why anyone would want or need all that junk covering their laptop.

4. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

You definitely want a high quality notebook bag, or a notebook sleeve coupled with a high quality general purpose backpack to carry it in. I'm not into skins/protectors/bras/condoms/etc :p for my notebooks so I can't help you there.

If you ever want to connect to an external display, or use an external keyboard/mouse when you're at home, I highly recommend the Rain mStand to prop up your notebook.

A second charger can be convenient too. Keep one at work/home, keep the other in your bag so you'll never forget it.

5. Mahler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the recommendations so far.

I do have a question regarding a plastic film screen protector... my previous Macbook (white non-unibody model) got a lot of screen marks (from the keyboard) and a couple of indents. This seemed to be a general problem with white macbooks (a few people complained about it in the Apple forums). Is this a problem at all in the unibody Macbook pros? Would you say that a screen protector is necessary?

Thanks

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I do not think that will be an issue with the glass over the display.
    as far as mini displayport adapters check out monoprice.com, and look at logitech in addition to microsoft for a good travel mouse. the new logitech unifying receiver is tiny.