New MacBook Pro already has issues w/ files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gavin310, May 12, 2012.

1. gavin310 macrumors newbie

I've had my MacBook Pro for about 3 months. Recently the "pinwheel" has started spinning for about 15 seconds every minute or so, or whenever I open an app. The app is unresponsive, but I can still use the Dock, go to the desktop, etc. If I open another program while an app is frozen, then the new app becomes unresponsive too. It's not constant though. It happens every now and then and lasts about an hour. It seems to happen more with Safari, but all apps will freeze once I open them when it's happening. I thought maybe it was overheating, but the temp never goes much above 140 F. I ran the Disk Utility at startup and repaired a bunch of permission errors, mainly with files in Safari's folder. I then did a Disk Repair and it was finding and fixing a bunch of issues, and then finally said it can't repair the disk and to backup all my files and reformat. I haven't done much with the computer other than installing Adobe Creative Suite, Transmit, MS Office and a couple other programs. Not sure how it could have gotten messed up already. I'd rather not format, but I'm sure this error isn't a good one. Any ideas?

2. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

Maybe a faulty hdd? I don't know it seems like it though. I am no expert though. You have 1 year warranty, take it to the apple store. =D

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

You cannot repair the system volume while you are booted to it. Boot into Recovery HD (hold Command and R at startup) and then use Disk Utility from there to repair the system volume.

4. gavin310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that's kind of a problem for me. I live in Thailand right now. I had to order my computer from Apple so I could get an English only keyboard. There's no Apple stores in Thailand, only authorized dealers or whatever. AND those are all in BKK, which is about a 5 hour drive.....

----------

Sorry I should have explained it more. That's what I meant when I said I ran the disk utility at startup. I booted in Recovery HD and ran Disk Utility from there.

5. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

Ah, Maybe ship it back if warranty is still covering it.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It could be a lot of things. If your data isn't backed up, that's the first thing you should address. HFS+ can be a little flakey at times, but that's not necessarily the problem. Ram issues can cause it. HDD issues, file system problems, logic board issues, firmware problems with plugged in external drives, etc. The important thing is to track down the problem if there is a problem right now rather than when the computer is no longer covered by a warranty.

That sucks that you're so far away from repair facilities:(.

7. gavin310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, from what you are all saying, this isn't a good thing at all. That's really disappointing. It's my first time buying a Mac :confused: I can't afford to not work while it's being shipped and fixed. Not sure what to do yet. Thanks for all the info.

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Since you still have applecare I would make a genius appointment and let them figure it out. If its some sort of hardware failure then they may just replace your machine. I wouldn't kill myself trying to self diagnose it I think its time for apple to take a look at it.

9. gavin310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you guys think I should at least try doing what the repair tool is telling me and format the hard drive? Is there a possibility maybe it's just some software that caused the problem, or is this definitely a hardware issue?

10. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

If you have a backup, you might as well try. Worst that can happen is you clone it back and you're back at square one.

AFAIK, just formatting the drive and cloning back doesn't void any warranty.

11. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Of course it doesn't void the warranty to format/reload the machine...

You could reload it and give it a try. I doubt that its a software issue.

You could go along way towards ruling out a software issue by creating a new user account and seeing if it exhibits the same symptoms.