New Macbook Pro and and wireless storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gaelinic, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Gaelinic macrumors regular

So, I'm thinking of getting my first Mac. I settled on a Macbook Pro. I found the following Mac for $1,649 new. Can you guys tell me if this is a good price and a good MAC?

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features
    2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6 MB on-chip shared L2 cache, Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
    2 GB RAM (two SO-DIMM) 677 MHz DDR2 SD-RAM (PC2-5300), 250 GB 5400 rpm Serial ATA hard drive, slot load 8x Super Drive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot
    Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit); built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 by 900 resolution, matte TFT LED widescreen display with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512 MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Hardware Platform: Mac
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core Duo
    System Bus Speed: 800
    Number of Processors: 1
    RAM: 2000 MB
    RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive

Size: 250 GB
    Manufacturer: Portable
    Type: Serial ATA
    Graphics and Display

Graphics RAM: 512 MB
    LCD Native Resolution: 15.4
    Ports and Connectivity
    Modem: None
    Cases and Expandability
    Size (LWH): 9.6 inches, 14.1 inches, 1 inches
    Weight: 5.4 pounds
    Power
    Rated Charge (normal use): 5 hours
    Wireless
    Wireless Type: 802.11A

It seems to have come out in February 2008. Can I upgrade the memory at some point to DDR3 memory? Or do I need a newer Macbook pro?

If not, what do you guys think of this memory chip?

Lastly, I also want to try and create an external storage device that can be accessed wirelessly with my new Mac. I want a tb of storage space for files and music. What would you recommend I purchase to make this happen? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative than the 1 tb Time Capsule. Are there any routers and external hard drives that can do the same thing?

Thanks.

Gaelinic

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

you can't use ddr3 memory

the one you linked to is a package of two chips, so it won't be helpful since you have two chips in your computer already

if you want to upgrade the ram you should get 4GB (2x2GB) or 6GB (1x4GB + 1x2GB) DDR2-667

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

1. It won't take ddr3
    2. Time capsule is more of a backup solution, you could get any NAS that is compatible with OS X 10.5 to store music and files but you won't be able to use it with time machine remotely.

4. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

Oops. But, can that Macbookpro take 6gb? I thought it could only go to 4gb?

Also, what do you think of the Macbook pro listed? Is it a good one for the price?

5. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

When I spoke to an Apple rep., they told me that Time Capsule also works as a remote storage device that you can use to stream music and videos. Is that not right?

What is NAS? Do you have any recommendations? Is this a good one? Will I still need to purchase internal hard drives for this one? Also, will it need to be directly plugged into a router for my computer to pick it up?

Thanks.

Gaelinic

6. sapota macrumors member

You can get the new unibody (late 2008) MBP albeit with the 256MB video card for about the same price (macmall.com). Depends on what you want to do? If 256MB video card is good enough for you, then u can opt for the durable unibody for the same price. if not...what u r getting is a decent price too

7. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

I just went to an Apple store to play around with the Macbook pro and learn a little more about Mac. I'm really jittery about making the jump to Mac. I need a little more coaxing. Anyway, one of the feature I really did like on the Macbook Pro I saw at the store was the touchpad feature involving 2-4 fingers. You know; 2 fingers for right button; and 4 fingers for spreading windows and bringing them back.

Does anyone know if the macbook listed in my first post has the same features I saw at the store? Was there a significant change between the February and October releases of a Macbook Pro?

The one I saw at the store was 2.4ghz while the one listed above is 2.5. But the memory on the new ones in the store are DDR3. Which one is faster?

Thanks.

Gaelinic

8. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

A mb has all the same features as a mbp, apart from a second graphics card, a firewire port, a larger screen and an express card port. All the gesture stuff and everything else, is the same.

9. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

No, I meant the difference between the Macbook pro listed in the first post and the new macbook pro at the Apple store.

Thank you.