Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rblogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hello

I have two questions:

1. Does the old 30" Cinema Display work perfect with the new Macbook Pro? Does anyone has experience with this combination?

2. Apple says that the new 24" Cinema Display is "optimized for the new Macbook Pro". What does it mean? What is the difference to the old ones?

I prefer an old 30" because I need it for image editing (you know.. LED). And I dont like much the design of the new display.

Thanks a lot for your help!

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
i'm sure it works fine with an adapter. the new 24" led display has the new display port connector and the wiring harness is setup to work on the left side of the new laptops. which imo sucks!! unless they decide to make a 6-8 inch extension for the display cable, they won't work with the older mb/mbp's.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Differences include: better Marketing, redesign, display port, LED, increased price and smaller size.

But hey, it's "optimized."

It should work fine with a DVI-display port adapter.

MacMobay

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
You'll have to wait for the 30 inch display, as it will require the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter for full 2560 by 1600 pixels. I think these are on backorder until Nov. 25, 2008... so the earliest you could probably get your hands on one is Nov. 26th.

You can use the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter with the 30 inch display, but it will only allow the display to provide a lesser screen resolution.

filman408

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
San Jose, CA
increased price

It should work fine with a DVI-display port adapter.

The LED display is the SAME price as the matte ACD. Also, there is no DVI to mini DisplayPort adaptor. If you find one, let me know.

Optimized for the MBP may mean that the display can power the MPB, plus video and USP in one cable.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Can you sue two Cinema Displays with the New MBP, I know you could do this with the old one with the full DVI port and two ACD. I dont remember anything being said in the key note about the new MBP running two LED displays.

Apple might reveal more when they are released.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
The LED display is the SAME price as the matte ACD. Also, there is no DVI to mini DisplayPort adaptor. If you find one, let me know.

Optimized for the MBP may mean that the display can power the MPB, plus video and USP in one cable.

Few things incorrect here.

Gain an inch for the same price on the same size. My bad.
Every time I drool over these, I look at the refurbished. You do lose the two firewire ports, but gain a USB.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (You can get one that will power a 30" ACD too.)

The new display is plugged into the wall and then has another cable to plug into the power port on the laptop

There is a USB cable on the monitor that needs to be plugged into the computer. That will give you sound and access to the three ports on the back.

Cables:
specs_cable20081015.jpg

Monitor and Laptop:

Attachments

• home_hero20081014.jpg
    home_hero20081014.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 47

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Hello

I have two questions:

1. Does the old 30" Cinema Display work perfect with the new Macbook Pro? Does anyone has experience with this combination?

2. Apple says that the new 24" Cinema Display is "optimized for the new Macbook Pro". What does it mean? What is the difference to the old ones?

I prefer an old 30" ...

Having just actually read your questions, I wanted to tell you that I think you will ned a dual DVI to power a 30" display. That adaptor is... $100.

Also, it won't be shipping for 4-5 weeks.

Also, this thread might be of use to you.

I don't think too many people will have experience with this type of connection yet. You can wait a little while and monoprice should have the connector for much less ... at least that is what we are all hoping for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.