New MacBook Pro and iLife 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aresinferno, Jan 12, 2009.

1. aresinferno macrumors regular

I am considering buying a new macbook pro and i see that there is an option to get iWork 09 with it. What i am wondering, or assuming, is that iLife 09 comes with it. However after reading this forum i have seen that iLife isn't scheduled to be released until somewhere from Jan 20th to Feb. Would ordering it now mean getting the old iLife and having to pay for the new upgrade or is it best to wait until it has definately been released.

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

probably mean paying the upgrade fee..

if you're not overly desperate for the mbp, then just wait a few weeks to be sure :)

3. akbc macrumors 6502

If you buy now, the computer comes with iLife '08. And you are eligible for the $9.95 upgrade when the iLife '09 starts shipping.

If you buy it after iLife '09 has been released, then your computer will come with it.

The $9.95 upgrade can be applied at macs that have been shipped from Jan 6 - March 28 of 2009 (or something like that)

4. aresinferno thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I guess i will sit and wait patiently for news of its release :D

5. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Strange that Apple did this. Normally an announcement of iLife would be made the day that it would ship. Can't see why Apple would effectively delay the order for new Macs for some people?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because enough people don't care to not make it an issue. Apple never announces hardware before availability, but quite frequently announces software before availability.

30% of potential Mac buyers aren't waiting for the already-announced Snow Leopard, because there aren't enough people who care about it to have it be an issue in terms of sales numbers.

7. jdaco6 macrumors regular

It also makes business sence becuse if they released it on the day they would then have to launch an update program for those Mac's bought up to 2 weeks in the past (Apple PR) and still have all the ones in the product line to update as well. By not launching it on the day they are effectivly saving updating the ones bought before the announcement while still retaining the good PR of updating Mac's bought up to 2 weeks before the release of the product.