Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting today, the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini are available for pickup at Apple Stores in the U.S. and select other countries, with no pre-order required. Online orders will also begin arriving to customers today.

M2-MacBook-Pro-and-Mini-Feature.jpg

To order a product with Apple Store pickup, add the product to your bag on Apple.com or in the Apple Store app, proceed to checkout, select the "I'll pick it up" option, enter your ZIP or postal code, choose an available Apple Store location, select a pickup date, and select a 15-minute check-in window. Payment is completed online, and a valid government-issued photo ID and the order number may be required upon pickup.

Pickup dates for many standard configurations are showing as January 26 as of writing, with custom configurations not available until at least February 10. Some standard configurations may also be available for walk-in purchase today, but availability will vary.

Powered by Apple's latest M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, the new MacBook Pros offer up to 20% faster CPU performance and up to 30% faster graphics compared to the previous-generation models. The laptops can be configured with up to 96GB of RAM, compared to a max of 64GB previously. Other improvements include Wi-Fi 6E, an upgraded HDMI 2.1 port with support for up to an 8K external display, and an extra hour of battery life.

The new Mac mini is available with M2 and M2 Pro chip options. The desktop computer has no major design changes, but M2 Pro configurations are equipped with four Thunderbolt 4 ports and an HDMI 2.1 port, compared to two Thunderbolt 4 ports and HDMI 2.0 on the M2 model. Other upgraded specs include Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3.

The new MacBook Pro starts at $1,999 for the 14-inch model and at $2,499 for the 16-inch model, while the new Mac mini starts at $599.

Article Link: New MacBook Pro and Mac Mini Launch Today, Apple Store Pickup Now Available

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
For this generation, the Mac Mini is the real star of the show in my opinion. $599 is a really good price, even if it has 8GB RAM.

Mac Mini has always been the big star of Apple Silicon. Yeah battery life is amazing and all and having fanless laptops that aren't crap, but having really cheap Macs is another thing. Having cheap Macs convinces people to finally switch and realize what they've been missing out on. It got me to switch after all after a lifetime of Mac hatred.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
My 24GB/512GB M2 Mini was supposed to be Jan 26th when I ordered it at launch but now it shows "Arrives Feb 8 - Feb 15". That's quite the slip and super frustrating.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Mac Mini has always been the big star of Apple Silicon. Yeah battery life is amazing and all and having fanless laptops that aren't crap, but having really cheap Macs is another thing. Having cheap Macs convinces people to finally switch and realize what they've been missing out on. It got me to switch after all after a lifetime of Mac hatred.
gmh dude—that was always meant to be the point of the mini, but the price just kept going up and up…and it’s finally back down to what it originally was, with specs leaps and bounds better than before.

coming from the complete opposite end, with a lifetime hatred for Windows (minus gaming on a well-spec’d PC) and love for macOS since a parent’s friend showed me their forever-iconic plastic MacBook as a kid, I am so excited to finally jump into the world of Apple Silicon MBPs. been saving up since they were first shown off to the world—incredibly excited to see what I can do with a DAW on this thing, let alone casual stuff, with the battery life being in the double-digit hours. more excited for this than my 14PM, S8, and APP2 combined.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
gmh dude—that was always meant to be the point of the mini, but the price just kept going up and up…and it’s finally back down to what it originally was, with specs leaps and bounds better than before.

coming from the complete opposite end, with a lifetime hatred for Windows (minus gaming on a well-spec’d PC) and love for macOS since a parent’s friend showed me their forever-iconic plastic MacBook as a kid, I am so excited to finally jump into the world of Apple Silicon MBPs. been saving up since they were first shown off to the world—incredibly excited to see what I can do with a DAW on this thing, let alone casual stuff, with the battery life being in the double-digit hours. more excited for this than my 14PM, S8, and APP2 combined.

I miss the plastic unibody Macbook. I always wanted to get one when I was a kid but my dad was a Mac hater since the 80s. (Course his opinion greatly changed when I gave him my M1 Mac Mini for Christmas last year when I got my 14 inch MBP. He now uses it over his aging Windows desktop as his new office computer, loving that managing his iPhone is a lot simpler now with the Mac Mini)

I hope one day that plastic Macbook design can come back maybe, as a Macbook SE or something

• Disagree
Reactions: SFjohn and phenste

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA

The most notable thing you will notice if you purchase the MacBook Pro is the screen - Windows laptops don't even come close to replicating the sharpness and the pristine colors on display.

Next will be the battery life and the heat - long battery life and basically no heat unless you are taxing the system, and even then, nothing as significant as the Intel Macs that came before it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
The most notable thing you will notice if you purchase the MacBook Pro is the screen - Windows laptops don't even come close to replicating the sharpness and the pristine colors on display.

Next will be the battery life and the heat - long battery life and basically no heat unless you are taxing the system, and even then, nothing as significant as the Intel Macs that came before it.

I swapped my M1 Mac Mini for a 14 inch Macbook Pro because of that screen. Got base spec since I didn't need a full power M1 Pro and mainly just wanted the amazing display and speakers.

Last edited:

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Never been more tempted to get the M2 Mini. I have an M1 MacBook Pro and often dock it to my ultra wide. I could just hide my M2 Mini on a shelf somewhere nearby as a permanent desktop solution.

Reactions: SFjohn

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Will be checking them out this Saturday. Very tempted by the Mac Mini, would use it to replace my Windows 11 laptop right now. I have two 24 inch external displays in use with it and another one sitting in storage that I can't use. The Mini with M2 Pro would be the perfect machine for it. I am already spoiled at work with my three displays.

Reactions: SFjohn

ksj1

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2018
"compared to two Thunderbolt 4 ports and HDMI 2.0 on the M2 model."

I believe you meant the M1 model in this sentence...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The entry level 2007 Mac Mini shipped with 1GB of RAM running MacOSX Tiger. Max RAM that machine could take was 4GB.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My 24GB/512GB M2 Mini was supposed to be Jan 26th when I ordered it at launch but now it shows "Arrives Feb 8 - Feb 15". That's quite the slip and super frustrating.

Well considering yesterday's macOS release - you'll avoid any first week bugs ;) Hopefully your 2012 will hold out until you've fully setup.

I have to wait unfortunately, nobody in my city is budging on an 8/16GB M1 with 256GB under $500CAN.
I have a lot to shuffle around (letting go my PC and Sonos One looking for reasonably priced HomePod OG).

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I picked up my new Mac Mini M2 Pro model at my local Apple Store in Saint Louis and am currently installing the Ventura 13.2 upgrade first. I had preordered the Mac Mini M2 Pro earlier this morning. When I got to the Apple West County Store, they said this was not going to be a busy day for traffic at the store, as most people do not use computers anymore, but instead prefer their iPhones and iPads. I was surprised to hear the Apple Store Employee share that. Do you think that Mac Sales are really down that much?

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I picked up my new Mac Mini M2 Pro model at my local Apple Store in Saint Louis and am currently installing the Ventura 13.2 upgrade first. I had preordered the Mac Mini M2 Pro earlier this morning. When I got to the Apple West County Store, they said this was not going to be a busy day for traffic at the store, as most people do not use computers anymore, but instead prefer their iPhones and iPads. I was surprised to hear the Apple Store Employee share that. Do you think that Mac Sales are really down that much?
I think relative to overall phone sales then yes that is probably always the case these days.

I could see there is probably a growing segment of the adult population that don't need/use traditional computers. Anyone who doesn't have a desk job is probably fine in most cases getting by with just a phone for most things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.