New Macbook Pro and my SKETCHY wireless...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TimO16, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TimO16 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a macbook pro, I love it and use it a lot. The problem is, my wireless signal always cuts out in my room (upstairs above the garage- the wireless router is on the other side of the house) another thing is I'm pretty sure my house has 14" walls.

I know that the router I have is not the highest quality, but I figure it should work just fine. It's a d-link 802.11g 2.4 ghz wireless router and its hooked up to my family's dell desktop. I use the wireless airport on my macbook pro to pick up the signal sometimes airport picks the signal up great, sometimes not at all.

My question is, why is my signal strength and reliability so sketchy? Shouldn't it either work, or not work? And what things can I do to improve the wireless in my house as a whole, and/or just better reception in my room? If you can give me some -reasonably priced (sub $100)- products I can consider, I would greatly appreciate that too.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate your answers.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

There are many things that can interfere with wireless transmission:
    Cordless Phones in 2.4GHZ range
    Pipes in the walls
    Microwave Ovens
    etc.

You may want to consider adding an inexpensive "wireless repeater" somewhere in between your computer and the router to increase reception.

Check out Linksys.com

3. TimO16 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

I think the other guy had a good idea with the wireless repeater. Just put it in between the router and the laptop. It should boost your signal.

5. ddoonie macrumors regular

There are a ridiculous amount of issues with the MBP wireless.. Look here for ideas... http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7377837&#7377837

Lots of threads regarding inconsistent wireless connectivity etc.., unfortunately no solutions yet.

I dont know if this is your issue though. Can you get connection with another computer in your room? You can get a repeater (airport express) as suggested before, if your issue is that your signal strength isn't strong enough..