Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I tried to play ROME II on Steam in the mac partition of my new 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro.

I find that it was extremely laggy and horrible.

However playing a slightly older game like Shogun II Total War plays buttery smooth on highest settings.

So should I be able to play Rome II on this device?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Rome 2 was unfortunately an in-house port from Creative Assembly themselves, who have virtually no experience in Mac development. It's terribly optimised and just crap. The same is true for Attila.

Shogun 2 and all other TW games have been ported by Feral, who know what they are doing.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Rome 2 was unfortunately an in-house port from Creative Assembly themselves, who have virtually no experience in Mac development. It's terribly optimised and just crap. The same is true for Attila.

Shogun 2 and all other TW games have been ported by Feral, who know what they are doing.
Do you have any experience with the newer ones : Total War : Warhammer? What about the newest civilisation?
[doublepost=1500455605][/doublepost]
Do you have any experience with the newer ones : Total War : Warhammer? What about the newest civilisation?
So if I played Rome 2 on a windows partition on this computer it would be less laggy?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
So if I played Rome 2 on a windows partition on this computer it would be less laggy?

Gaming will always be better on a windows partition. I tried gaming on the Mac side and was underwhelmed, then tried it via BOOTCAMP and never looked back. It really is that much better.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
From a non-geek : Why is it better?

And more importantly, will High Sierra change that?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
[doublepost=1500455605][/doublepost]
As the (fantasy) Warhammer setting doesn't interest me, I haven't played Total Warhammer. From what I heard, it runs great, though. I also haven't played Civ VI.

Rome 2 should work much better under Windows. Attila does.

From a non-geek : Why is it better?

And more importantly, will High Sierra change that?
In general, because the performance is better. Games for Windows are usually developed with DirectX in mind. When they get ported to macOS, they had to be rewritten to use OpenGL, which lead to a significant performance hit, especially since Apple's OpenGL implementation is outdated and just crap.

However, Apple introduced Metal as new graphics API last year. After some teething pain, it now seems to be ready for prime and actually delivers a fairly good performance, sometimes on par with DirectX. But there still aren't many games using Metal at the moment.

High Sierra will bring improvements that all Metal games should profit from, and when they are specifically adapted to High Sierra's Metal 2, they should perform even better. OpenGL games won't benefit from these improvements.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.