New macbook Pro and Time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs, Dec 13, 2011.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

IAs of a few days ago I was using a 2008 Macbook but the LCD broke on me so the IT department gave me a new Macbook Pro. They gave it to me set up with all the software I need but I now need to get my files from my old computer to my new one. I have my old macbook backed up with Time machine. Can I use Time Machine to set my new computer up?

By the way, although the LCD is broken I can view it on an external monitor so if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them.

Thanks,

cfs

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

You can put the time machine copy back and get the machine exactly as it was. You can do this with the recovery dvd (snow leopard) or the recovery partition (lion).

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will this eliminate all of the software that my IT person put on my computer? If I don't have those recovery disks is there any other way?

thanks,
    cfs

4. 808? macrumors 6502a

if your account user name is exactly as you backed up in Time Machine, then you can restore just what you want: documents, photos, music and so on.

5. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. My problem however is that my IT guy already set my computer up so when I go to migration assistant it says, "your new disk can't be the same name as your old." and it wants me to rename it. What's up with this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Cfs

6. 808? macrumors 6502a

In this case, you can still import your important data into your new Mac using the Migration Assistant in your Utilities folder. It will create another user account (from your old computer). Then you'll have to manually copy over the data to your new user account (which means changing file/folder permissions), or I would just user your old account once its been migrated over. You can have many user accounts on the same disk at once no problem.