New MacBook Pro and VZAccess Manager

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revelated, Feb 26, 2011.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Posting here because apparently the new MBPs have a special build of 10.6.6.

Thought all was well - until I fired up VZAccess Manager and noticed a fatal error that prevents it from running. Uninstall/reinstall does nothing. Doesn't make sense. Can't just be 10.6.6 as I had that running on the previous Big Apple and it was perfectly fine.

I wouldn't use it but for the fact that it's the only perfect way to use the 4G modem. I only noticed the issue when attempting to test the 1.80 Cradlepoint firmware - only to see it wasn't working - and figured I would reactivate it with VZA.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

It's not special. That's the latest version of OSX.

3. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

4. drewfranklin macrumors newbie

How to Use Verizon Devices w/o VZ access

I was having the same issue. I have the new 13" Macbook Pro (dual core i5). Verizon VZ Access Manager is not compatible.

Here is what worked for me:

With Mac OS 10.6.6 there is a WWAN (wireless wide area network) option (you can find more info at support.apple.com - search for WWAN). My MiFi 2200 is now natively supported by the OS, and VZAccess is no longer required. To get it working, I did the following:

1. Attach the MiFi device (i've heard this also works with the USB760).
    2. Drag the CD icon to the trash - THIS IS REQUIRED, as it allows the WWAN to detect the device
    - Once you trash the cd, give it a few seconds and you should see "New Network Device Detected"
    3. For the MiFi, the network settings were populated automatically as Account Name: ISP@VZW.COM and Password: vzw

(with the USB760, you may need to enter the phone number of the device -- you can get it from VZAccess or the associated network profile)

- At this point the cell bars showed up on my menu bar...
    4. Click Connect

Things to note:
    - Once the device is set up, it will add itself to the "Network Preferences" under "System Preferences"
    - You may have to drag the CD icon to the trash each time you use it. A small price to pay...
    - VZAccess is not longer required
    - Most fairly current EVDO solutions are supported by this method, there is a list of supported devices at support.apple.com

5. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello,

I am a brand new MBP guy, and I registered here to join in on the conversation...

I just got off the phone with VZW, and they say that the LG VL600 4G modem only works with 32bit OS and not 64bit. I noticed that it says this on the VZaccess manager download page - or at least 32bit is specifically called out.

In my network settings I do see three LG entries, but I can't get any of them to work; two think they are phone modems and the third gives no option to connect - it looks like it is this one that is the one that we want, as it looks like a LAN setting. And forget about VZAccess manager - that throws a fatal error no matter what. I already uninstalled it.

So the mifi settings listed above (thanks for trying, Revelated), may not apply to the actual modems.... I have a request into LG but I am not expecting much....

R

6. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

After some folks on the Verizon forums dug in it seems that what is happening is this.

For some reason the 2011 MacBook Pros explicitly boot into 64 bit. I don't know why. The 2010 and prior booted into 32 bit for the kernel, even though applications could run in 64 bit to address the additional RAM. Booting Snow Leopard into 32 bit makes VZAccess Manager work; booting normally into 64 bit breaks VZAccess Manager. So it seems that VZAccess Manager is coded to depend on whatever the kernel is running as. Problem with that is still ambiguous. So the short term fix is to boot Snow Leopard into 32 bit all the time. There is a Terminal command - rather, a file you can edit from Terminal - that will do this. But it's clearly not an ideal solution if there are benefits to running 64 bit outside of memory addressing, such as performance.

I went ahead and updated my Snow Leopard to just boot into 32 bit for now, because I really do need my 4G to work when I need it. I do have wireless tethering, but like today for example, if I need to download a 10 MB file, it's not practical to do it over Verizon's 3G at 200kbps.

7. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I am also reading that rather than make the change permanent through the file edits, you can shutdown, and power on while holding down the 3 and 2 buttons throughout the boot.

Not ideal, in any sense of the word, but might be good to use as a backup until VZW releases proper 64bit support.

R

8. demenas macrumors member

demenas

The new MacBook Pros do come with a special version of 10.6.6. It's Build 10J3210. My old MBP (2009) drive with 10.6.6 wouldn't boot in the new 15" MBP I just got. I think this build also has TRIM support for SSD drives (maybe just if you bought the SSD drive from Apple)

9. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

10. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Thanks for the update. I'll test it when I get a free moment.

Curious that it took them this long to do it. Also ironic now that people have identified an issue with USB tethering to the iPhone in 64bit mode causing kernel panics.

Still wondering what compelled them to make the change. I just set mine to always boot 32 bit and haven't had an issue since.

11. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I was actually pleasantly surprised that it was done so quickly.

When I spoke to VZW, they gave no indication that they were even coming out with something to resolve the problem.

Instead, they tried to get me to suspend the account (for $15) and then purchase a license to make my Droid a hotspot....

Yeah, right....

R

12. peterchaley macrumors newbie

13. Tibits macrumors regular

Important to note that you need to go to this link to download the new version. Updating from the old version of VZAM will not show a new verison available.

With the updated software my 760 now works fine with my 2011 MBP without booting to 32 bit.

One thing that would be nice in the new MBP is integrated 4G WAN.

14. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I was talking about the 4G modems.... I was not looking at the other devices - sorry.

It works perfectly on my LG 4G.

R

15. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

I solved the issue by retailing the Samsung 4G Mobile Hotspot and swapping the SIM. Works like a charm. The hotspot works significantly better than the Pantech and even better than the Thunderbolt's hotspot. It remains connected when I need it to and gets 4G signal in places the Pantech failed to.

My only issue with the Samsung is that it appears to have an issue switching back from 3G to 4G. If it goes to 3G it'll stay there until I do Disconnect/Reconnect, then it's fine. Very bizarre. But with the Samsung extended battery this thing is BEAST.

16. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

What does the thing look like? The LG is a bit large on the MBP 13", but it works well.

How expensive was the Samsung?

BTW, I am not using the modem as much as I thought, so I tried to convince Verizon to let me buy the Xoom at contract price and switch the contract over. They did not bite... bad business people. I got the modem for free from Wirefly, so why not take my $599 since I am locked into the contract anyway?

R

17. MJSfoto1956 macrumors newbie

MBP 10.6.7 + VZAccess 7.2.6 + BB 2.0.1 + Blackberry works!

Just thought someone else might want to know that the combination of my new Macbook Pro 15" w/ OS 10.6.7 + VZAccess Manager 7.2.6 + BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.0.1 + Blackberry Bold 5.x works in tether mode!

How to get it to work:
    - make sure your phone is capable and registered for use as a modem with Verizon
    - install VZAccess Manager 7.2.6 for Mac
    - install BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.0.1 for Mac
    - launch BB Desktop
    - plug your BlackBerry into your Mac USB port
    - it will ask you to connect
    - then launch VZaccess Manager
    - it will show your phone as a WWAN choice
    - click "connect" and in a few seconds you are online!

18. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Looks like a black deck of cards with the extended battery. Not large by my standards and as I said it just works. I just got tired of fighting with the Pantech. Mobile hotspots make usb modems feel inferior. Was $279 plus tax full retail which isn't bad considering what it can do.

19. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

That is pretty cool - I will need to give that a try.

I did download EasyTether for Android which also works with Mac...

R