New MacBook Pro (AppleCare vs CC)

1k9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
I just returned a mid 2014 Mac Book Pro 15, I used it very little and had a problem with the display.

Now I need advice on when is the best time to purchase another Mac Book. I assume another new addition won't be out for some time?

I have a question about using AppleCare vs a Credit card that doubles the standard 1 year warranty.
Has anybody actually used the CC extended warranty? And if so what was the CC brand and what was your experience?

Thanks!

superlawyer15

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I'm sure applecare would be far less of a hassle than dealing with your CC company.
Of course though, one is "free" and the other costs hundreds of dollars.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
I would get Applecare tbh. You're buying through your credit card anyway so you'll have that protection.

Applecare has been invaluable over the years for me. I have had so many repairs, and once they reached the stage of multiple repairs, Apple replaced the product for me.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Apple care. It can be had for 180 and usually just one repair will pay for it. Especially with how tough their products are getting to repair on our own. I did all of the work in my 2010 pro. I roasted the charger port, bought the part for ten bucks and installed it myself by just looking at pictures. With my 2014 retina, even with the know how, I am reluctant to do anything myself.

One thing I used my warranty for was on my 2010 pro. My uncle stepped on the screen and the result was a black blotch on the display. No damage to the physical casing. I simply called them to ask how much it would be to replace and it's like they were in a rush to point me in the right direction. They gave me an address, said take it there (apple certified repair shop) and a few days later I went and picked it up with a new screen. I could have installed that myself and would have been happy to buy a unit on ebay for around 200 at the time, but they took care of it for me and didn't ask for an explanation.

I say get it.

1k9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Where do you get AppleCare for $180.? Apple care for a Mac Pro 15 w/retina is over $300.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Ah sorry, I missed the 15" part. Amazon was selling it for the 13" for 179 a couple of months ago. There is a link to it on this forum.