Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
hi, just got new macbook pro c13 and loving it so far. i have a batter question and odd behavior. i let the battery drain and then charged it completely, but now it shows the percentage as 98% but it shows the plug icon in battery and also says its completely charged.

is this issue just showing the incorrect percentage or should i go and get the macbook pro changed as there might be issue with the battery in long run?

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
There's no problem with the battery. It's normal for it to say that it's completely charged anywhere from about 95%-100%. You also don't need to completely discharge it...it doesn't really do any good. Just use it plugged in when you're home, run off of battery if you're not. And if you have it plugged in for extended periods of time, let it run off the battery occasionally, as it needs to be used some to stay healthy.

Also, your battery health will fluctuate from day to day, so don't panic if it drops some and then goes back up. That's also completely normal.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hi, just got new macbook pro c13 and loving it so far. i have a batter question and odd behavior. i let the battery drain and then charged it completely, but now it shows the percentage as 98% but it shows the plug icon in battery and also says its completely charged.
It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link.

Also, you never need to completely drain the battery and doing so isn't good for your battery. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.