New Macbook Pro Battery Replacement Cost

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquifiedbread, Jul 9, 2009.

1. liquifiedbread macrumors newbie

Hi,

My old PC laptop just died, and I'm thinking about switching over to a mac. I was looking at the new 13" macbook pros, but the battery replacement cost is about $129. For my old PC laptop, a new battery cost around $45.

Why do people not consider the $129 high?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

People have gotten used to it. It's more then what they used to charge, but given that they actually have to do something now, it makes sense. Also the technology in batteries has changed, replacing a battery on a PC is just a swap, not usually any case removing involved...now...

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Remember that Apple said that the new batteries will last for about five years, so for most users, they won't have to replace it. The $129 includes the labor and the cost of the high-tech battery.

4. liquifiedbread thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies.

Edit:

There is a guarantee of 80% battery capacity after 300 charge cycles, but does anyone know what happens to the battery capacity after that (e.g. 50% on the 400th cycle, or 75% on the 900th cycle)?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's not a guarantee, that's just the standard they usually go by if you want a warranty replacement. After 300 cycles/80% capacity, you get to decide if you want to pay for a new one.

6. shadow1 macrumors member

Ifixit will come up with the macbook pro's battery in about 6 months with their guide. It will only cost around $59.

7. chrzis macrumors newbie

chrzis

Well after 21 months, and 115 cycles, my battery is down to 34%. 5600mAh down to 1948mAh.

How annoying is that. And Apple won't do anything about it. Any ideas anyone? (and yes, I do have 3 years warranty)

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy a new battery? Batteries are considered replaceable parts, and aren't covered by warranty unless there's a defect.

9. chrzis macrumors newbie

chrzis

A new battery is the solution, and, I am prepared to pay for it.

But I won't be happy if another 20 months down the track my laptop lasts for 1/2 hour maximum with no wireless/bluetooth/DVD drive etc and brightness turned right down!

Someone above in this thread said how apple batteries do cost more than other laptops, but how the technology is better. Well, not my battery. I am a little sour I guess.

10. samwise macrumors regular

A battery for a Dell Studio 15 (56whr) is $149.99 and the 85whr version is $179.99 direct from Dell - makes Apple's price seem cheap for OEM pricing...

11. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

THe battery in my Toshiba laptop died in less than a year and it cost $150 for a new one.

12. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

The battery life on my new MBP 17" is incredible, and if Apple are right, and it really does last me for five years, then I expect I'll never have to replace it. My old Fujitsu laptop however had a battery which stopped holding a charge after about 18 months, and only ever held around 2 hours worth of battery life.

13. chrzis macrumors newbie

chrzis

I took in my laptop to a Genius bar. My laptop is still within the 3 year warranty, but the battery is not included in this after the 1st year.

The Genius guy plugged in an ipod into a USB slot on my MBP. This ipod was programmed with a battery analysis program. It basically said my battery was broken.

The Genius gave me an analogy of buying tyres for your car. If you get new tyres, and then drive 100,000km, your tyres will have no tread left. Likewise, if you cycle your battery 500 times, it will begin to wear down considerably.

However, I have just over 100 cycles, not even two years old, and the battery is performing terribly. He said that apple did not have to replace the battery because it was over 1 year old, but, they would. He said that the battery was not performing as it should, and even though it was out of warranty, they are happy to replace it.

How good is that! Thanks apple.

Now lets hope I don't have to repeat this whole process again a few months down the track...

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's pretty awesome, glad to hear you got a sensible Genius.

15. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

batteries degrade if you never cycle them too, a friend has a macbook which is about 24 months old, and has 600 cycles on it, its still getting 4-5 hours to a charge.

My one i dont cycle it as much as im lazy (im going to get a 24-hour timer so i can let it cycle automatically and i dont have to worry about it, 3.5 hours a day on battery power should do it some wonders) anyway, mine is 122 cycles and 12 months :eek: its out of warrenty now!:eek: and has 100% capacity according to coconut battery, although it hasn't been cycled properly for a few months so that may not be completely accurate.

its all in how you treat the battery, for a battery it feels the pain when it doesnt get used. They like being used. Dont be scared to run it on battery even if a power adapter is right beside you

16. chrzis macrumors newbie

chrzis

I was using my battery a few times a week, and I cycled it around once a month. I was just following the advice on the apple website about the best way to look after a battery.

But thanks for the heads up - whoever else is reading this thread should be aware that just leaving your laptop plugged in permanently is poison for your battery.

17. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

How, praytell, can you/have you figure(d) out how to tell how many cycles you've gone through, and the actual percentage you have used?

18. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

19. TheMind macrumors newbie

Cheaper MacBook battery

You can always go to amazon or ebay and buy a new battery for your MacBook for about $30 - $40 like I'm about to do. I also have a 2009 macbook that will only hold a charge for 45 mins. now. Hope that helps

20. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

thread is from 2009 (and dead) - I guess he won't need your help anymore ;)